Best dog houses have long graced the backyards of homes, as well as various institutions requiring the indoor & outdoor house for dogs that are employed in protection of property.
Puppies and dogs enjoy dozing indoors or outdoors during the daylight hours, in locations where they can keep an eye on the neighborhood activities or teach invading squirrels a lesson. When selecting a site for your new dog house, choose one that give your pup a vista of the neighborhood to make sure he will maximize use of the shelter.
Best dog houses for indoors & outdoors can provide quick shelter during the sudden rainstorm or a cozy den area for afternoon napping.
Welcome to the readers who have visited my article, start joining our community to share experiences on how to take care of dogs,
recipes, good stories, attractive videos, Interesting engravings are you captured on your dog. I am here to help you make this happen, make your life and your dog the best. You can support us here.
Table of Contents
- 1 The best dog houses for dogs, what are the benefits?
- 2 Using a Outdoor Dog Houses
- 3 Why does your dog need the best dog houses for indoors?
- 4 What’s the Difference Between Indoors and Outdoors Dog Houses?
- 5 Materials make up the best dog houses for indoors and outdoors.
- 6 Top 15 Best Dog Houses Comparison
- 7 Factors to consider before buying the best dog houses
- 8 What are the best dog houses for indoors and outdoors
Top 15 picks of most cost-effective, high quality dog homes
- 8.1 Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban
- 8.2 Suncast DH250 Dog House
- 8.3 ASL Solutions Insulated Dog Palace
- 8.4 TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic Dog House
- 8.5 Petsfit Dog House, Dog House Outdoor
- 8.6 Arf Frame Dog House with Dark Frame
- 8.7 Pet Squeak Doggy Den Dog House
- 8.8 YOOYE One-Touch Portable Folding large Dog House tent for indoor, outdoor waterproof
- 8.9 Merry Products Wood Pet Home
- 8.10 Our Pet’s Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House
- 8.11 Petego Umbra Portable Pet House and Containment System
- 8.12 Lifeunion Portable Folding Dog House Sun Beach Tent for Indoor, Outdoor Waterproof
- 8.13 Zeckos Blue Portable Pop-Up Pet Tent Medium / Large Dogs Cats
- 8.14 Precision Pet Outback Log Exterior Dog House
- 8.15 PETMATE BARNHOME 3 15-25LBS
- 9 10 More Best Dog Houses Options as Alternatives
- 9.1 Suncast DH350 Dog House
- 9.2 SKL Luxury High-end Double Pet House/black Dog Room
- 9.3 Pet Squeak Porch Pups Dog House
- 9.4 Portable Indoor Pet House / Bed by Best Pet Supplies
- 9.5 GigaTent Pet PopUp Tent with Fitted Foam Pad
- 9.6 MidWest Portable Tent Crate
- 9.7 Best Friends by Sheri Pet Igloo in Sherpa
- 9.8 always-quality Indoor Outdoor Dog House
- 9.9 Large Dog House Lodge with Porch Deck Kennels Crates Solid Fir Wood Spacious Deck
- 9.10 Boomer & George Wooden Barn Dog House
- 10 How to pick the best dog houses for your specific dog?
- 11 Conclusion
Tips to buy exactly the best dog houses for your dog
- For a weatherproof dog house, choose one with a roof that overhangs the entrance to prevent rain from pouring in.
- Vinyl flaps can be installed on most dog houses for added protection in the winter, however they restrict the flow of air during warm months.
- To prevent flooding of the interior, select a dog house that has feet to raise it off of the ground or plan to put a pallet underneath it.
- Plastic dog houses are easier to keep sanitary, however they are much lighter weight and should be anchored to prevent them from flying away during high wind storms.
- Select a dog house that is slightly larger (4 inches each way) than the room that is necessary for him to stand up and turn around. Dogs like a cozy den area, however if the space is too small or too vast, he is unlikely to use the dog house.
The best dog houses for dogs, what are the benefits?
Dog houses are exactly what they say on the tin: a house for your dog. While many people assume they’re only useful for owners who keep their dogs outside, we would wholeheartedly recommend a dog house for any dog, regardless of whether they stay indoors or outdoors.
Different dogs and owners will find varied uses for dog houses but there are some universal benefits that every dog can enjoy from these products.
Best Dog houses:
- Provide shelter from the weather outside
- Give your dog a space of their own
- If portable, can be taken on family holidays and outdoor adventures
- Are more aesthetically pleasing than your typical training crate
- Are available in lots of different designs and styles that can be chosen to fit your own tastes
Using a Outdoor Dog Houses
While most people choose to keep their dog indoors, some owners are forced by circumstance – whether due to allergies, space issues or behavioral problems – to house their dog outdoors. In these cases, a dog house is really a mandatory purchase as they provide your pup with much needed shelter against the elements.
Without such shelter, you could be making your dog vulnerable to fear, illness, predators and even death. A quality dog house will ensure that your dog is kept safe and warm from the outside.
It’s important to ensure that outdoor dogs get the human attention and interaction they need and that they are brought inside during particularly bad weather. Also make sure that your yard is properly enclosed, to avoid the risk of attack by another animal.
Portable dog houses are the perfect travel companion for your pup and could empower you to bring your canine companion with you on outdoor activities and holidays. Small and lightweight, these products are great for sheltering your dog during camping trips, long walks and even at the beach.
Why does your dog need the best dog houses for indoors?
Dog houses aren’t only good for outdoor use. They can easily be put in your home and function as a more attractive version of a crate for your dog. Just like a crate, a dog house will allow your dog to build a den; essentially, they can enjoy their own space while still in the vicinity of their family.
Most dogs have an innate tendency to build a den that harkens back to their ancient, wild dog ancestry. When your pup starts chilling out under your desk or in your laundry basket, that’s them building their own den! They like to have a space comfortable to fit their size but still snug enough to make them feel secure and able to watch all around them.
If your dog has already been crate trained, it’s likely that they’ll take to a dog house quickly and easily. Regardless of any experience in a crate, they’ll probably be curious around the new structure at first and then ease into it gently with your encouragement.
What’s the Difference Between Indoors and Outdoors Dog Houses?
Why do need Life Vest For Dogs? Don’t they know how to swim? Some dogs do know how to swim and really enjoy the water, but most dogs are not naturally good swimmers. Even for dogs that are good swimmers there can be a number of factors that might make it difficult for them to swim. Rough water, bad weather conditions, fatigue, or distractions can all lead to tragedy when a dog is in the water. It’s not just open water that can cause problems for dogs either. Even in a contained setting like a pool or a lake a dog can have trouble swimming. That’s why you need?
Read more >>>
The Outdoor dog houses is strictly practical. As it needs to stand up and robustly shelter your dog in all weathers, it should be sturdy, rain and wind-proof and ideally bug-resistant too. It may be aesthetically pleasing, but that should only come second to the practical capabilities of the product.
However, with an dog house for indoors, how it looks is likely to be more important than its sturdiness, as it has no need to provide weather shelter for your dog (hopefully the bricks and mortar of your family home are already providing this!). Of course, all dog houses that are intended to be used for outdoor use will be perfectly fine to be used inside too.
Most owners are likely to choose a dog house that somehow complements the interior design of the family home and that which looks cute and appealing to your dog to curl up in. Some particularly quaint dog houses even mimic popular home designs, like mansions or mock Tudor architecture.
Materials make up the best dog houses for indoors and outdoors.
Material composition is the major feature that differentiates dog houses, and most products on the market can be divided into these three categories:
- Plastic – usually weatherproof and of a modern design.
- Wood – traditional looking, sturdy and potentially weatherproof.
- Canvas –more appropriately known as dog tents, and are primarily used as a portable, temporary shelter for a dog when you’re camping or involved in some other outdoor activity.
In this article, we’ll analyze the benefits of using the best dog houses for indoors and outdoors how to pick the right one for your dog, the below fifteen best dog houses for your dogs.
Top 15 Best Dog Houses Comparison
◊ Before going to review articles for each product, let’s take a look at some product information and consider carefully before buying dog houses.
Ourview: Best Outdoor Dog Kennel Reviews
“Best outdoor dog kennel are a great way to give your dog access to fresh air and sunshine without having to constantly supervise your dog. Large breeds and working breeds especially enjoy the chance to be outdoors and get more exercises than they would on a traditional walk.”
Factors to consider before buying the best dog houses
There are so many dog house options on the market that you should have a clear idea of what sort of product you’re looking for before you actually start looking.
Here are the factors to consider before you purchase a dog house.
A strong and robust structure is one of the most important features to find in a dog house. You should ask yourself whether it’s strong enough to stand up to the weight and power of your dog and, if it’s to be used outside, whether it can withstand strong winds and rain.
Obviously, some of the best dog houses will require stronger structures than others, and you should look to buy something suitably sturdy for the weather your home usually experiences. It’s unlikely that your average dog house in Albuquerque would be just as suitable for a dog living in the wilds of Colorado, for instance.
If you keep your dog outside, you should also ensure that the structure is strong enough to protect your pup from any wild animals or other potential predators that could enter your yard. A latched front door could be particularly useful here.
Ability to resist with bad weather.
Aside from how sturdy the structure is, you should see if the dog house sports any additional features which make it as weather resistant as possible. Not only will a weatherproof house protect your dog, it will also ensure some longevity in the product as it won’t be continually battered by the elements.
Ideally, the roof should overhang the entrance to the house to ensure that minimal rain enters through the front door. Some houses also sport off-center entrances, which minimizes rainfall penetration while also allowing your dog some extra room to maneuver inside.
A raised floor is good way to keep the dog house as dry as possible from a wet ground, while any insulation included will keep your dog warm in cooler climates. If there isn’t any insulation, you will need to consider if you need to buy additional accessories, like a heating pad.
What’s it Made of?
Different materials confer different benefits when it comes to dog houses, and some will be more suitable than others for your dog’s particular circumstances.
Wooden dog houses are particularly popular because they’re often the most visually appealing and, if of a high quality, offer natural weatherproofing and a degree of insulation. Make sure that you choose one with a raised floor if it’s to be used outside, otherwise you’ll risk rot setting in quickly with any wet weather.
Owners looking specifically for waterproof dog houses will generally opt for plastic ones. These products are often easier to assemble than their wooden counterparts too; usually they’re comprised of just a couple of large pieces that can be snapped together without any need for additional tools or labor.
Canvas is the material to choose for if you’re looking for a temporary tent-like structure for your dog and don’t require any additional insulation or sturdiness. This is the material you should go for if you want something portable and lightweight. They should also provide shade from the sun and, ideally, UV protection too.
What Does it Look Like?
We know that sturdiness is the most important factor in a dog house, particularly one being kept outside, but its aesthetic value is also important – arguably more so if it’s to be kept indoors.
While there are modern ‘igloo’ style dog houses available, you might want to consider whether you’d prefer a more traditional-looking structure, which many owners consider cute – particularly if it looks like a mini replica of their own house! Ideally, you’ll want something that fits in well with your own house’s architecture and interior design.
Probably the most important thing to be sure of before you buy your dog house is exactly how big it is. This can be one of the more difficult factors to gauge when buying such products online, but generally most manufacturers provide measurements and buying guides.
The ideal size for a dog house is one in which your dog can lie down comfortably, as well as stand up and turn around in. You don’t want it to be too small for obvious reasons, but you also want to make sure that it’s not too big: too much space will mean that your dog won’t see it as secure enough to be their sanctuary.
Remember to account for the size of the entrance, as well as the inside of the house. It’s no good if your dog is able to fit absolutely fine inside but they can’t squeeze their shoulders through to get in in the first place!
Most manufacturers offer a variety of size configurations, but it could be risky to just guess whether your dog needs a Medium or a Large, for instance. Firstly, you should weigh your dog to check that they are within the weight bracket for that particular size, before using a tape measure to accurately gauge their height, length and width.
You should then be able to judge whether your dog is able to fit in the dog house with room to spare for turning and standing.
How to pick the best dog houses?
When it comes to picking the best dog houses, perfect fit is one of the most important considerations, according to canine experts. A dog must always be able to comfortably fit in the dog house and want to stay inside there.
A dog house cannot be too tight, or too roomy; otherwise they will rather sleep next to it. Some owners choose a metal dog crate instead; however, this is less than ideal for outdoors.
The best way to achieve this is to accurately measure your dog. Take your dog’s width and length (while he’s standing straight) as well as your dog’s weight into consideration. Pay close attention to dimensions of dog houses indicated on the product’s page, and always leave just a little room extra.
Canines love their houses, it’s a natural instinct for them. Professionals call this “sheltering your dog.” Remember that not all dogs are suited for outdoor OR indoor living, and a dog house may be of help here.
With the above in mind, it’s important for you to know whether your dog house for indoors or outdoors is well-suited for your specific dog. If you don’t know your pet well enough, consult with a vet or a trainer.
What are the best dog houses for indoors and outdoors
Top 15 picks of most cost-effective, high quality dog homes
The best dog houses is of course the well-known Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban. This new home for your pet includes a doorway that’s extended and offset to prevent drafts, rain, snow, wind and other type of nasty stuff coming inside of the house like it does with some other ones.
Another thing that no other one of those best dog houses has is its Microban – this stuff helps to fight off random odors, bacteria, mold, mildew, stains, fungi and other gross growths that can accumulate around the house or even inside of it over time.
Petmate’s dog house is made out of structural foam which provides perfect level of insulation for any season. There’s also a roof vent that helps your Fido to breath better with continual air flow inside of the home. The house itself is very easy to setup – takes just minutes, and no tools are required at all. Check out all those customer reviews on Amazon from dog owners stoked about their pet’s new home.
- Made with Microban, which discourages the growth of odor causing germs, bacteria, mold and mildew.
- Offset doorway offers protection from wind and rain.
- Built-in structural foam adds to the insulating benefits of the design.
- Tool Free Installation
- Easy to open an clean when required.
- Most durable outdoor dog house on the market.
- Heavyweight (30 pounds for the large size) does not require anchoring the dog house.
- Door flap and self heating pad are available options.
- Very durable and sturdy
- An offset entrance to protect the interior from rain and wind
- Manufactured using Microban, which limits the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew
- Has an air vent in the roof to encourage air flow
- Easy to assemble with no tools necessary
- Made in the USA
- Not as decorative as other dog houses on the market.
- Sizing runs small: Large accommodates up to 70 pound dogs. (They say 70-90 pounds).
- One of the more expensive dog houses, but also one of the best values.
- If you have a stout dog, be sure to check the dimensions of the doorway to be sure your dog can fit into it.
- If you purchase the wrong size online, it will cost you a fortune to return it. Shipping on the large can run as much as $100.00.
- Latches frequently arrive broken, so be sure to purchase from a seller with a solid return policy and good customer service reviews.
Rain and snow can get into this dog house. You can add their custom flaps add-ons to the door way, or as a less expensive option, you can drape a large rubber/carpeted garage mat over the igloo entrance to extend a makeshift “porch” covering to the entrance.
Suncast makes two models of their dog house, which are essentially the same house with minor cosmetic differences between them. Together they are the most popular dog house on the market.
These dog houses snap together easily, but will also snap apart easily with any amount of rough-housing.
These houses are made from thin plastic sheets that acquire rigidity through their attachment to the other pieces. As the parts are snapped together, they gain their strength from their adjoining pieces. If a dog stands on one of these dog house roofs, it is likely to collapse.
The flaps to keep rain out are located on the inside of the doorway. Therefore when rain hits them, they guide the water into the dog house.
- Tool-free assembly, snaps together easily in minutes.
- Includes door flaps that are easily removed and added back to the unit.
- Includes letters you can add on to the front to personalize with your dog’s name.
- Sturdy enough for a laid back dog or a senior dog.
- Inexpensive relative to other houses on the market.
- Does not provide much insulation; you will need to add a self heating pad for cold winter days.
- Not raised off the ground.
- The thin floor easily allows water in, and has a snap together seam to it. You will want to attach this to a raised board or pallet to prevent flooding or liftoff in a storm.
A much more expensive option of best dog houses is the ASL Solutions Foam dog palace. To be honest, this dog home would’ve been in a place closer to number #1, but its price makes me want to drop this house by a few places. With that being said, this dog house itself is great!
It’s very well insulated which is important for dogs in more extreme climates (too cold or too hot). The barn style dog home also looks good, has up to 4 inches of real Styro/EPS foam for its insulation per each panel to maintain a comfortable for the canine temperature inside. The door is self-closing and very easy for pets to pass through, and the house itself is durable and easy to clean.
- Easy Tool-free assembly.
- Sloped floor and drain hole to remove any liquid that seeps in or runs off of your dog.
- Insulation inside of the plastic walls makes it the best dog house for cold weather
- Raised floor prevents flooding.
- Durable, expect it to last 4 years or more with normal usage.
- Attractive barn design
- Comes in two colors: tan and gray
- Insulated with EPS foam in the walls and roof
- Exterior is made of ultra-durable polystyrene
- Self-closing door
- Has a viewing window for your dog to see the outside world
- Comes with self-storing window panels that can be adjusted to close in the cold and cross-ventilate in the heat
- Raised off the ground for extra insulation
- There is a slight slope in the floor and a drain hole, in case your dog goes to the toilet inside
- It’s almost totally watertight
- Dogs may be wary of the self closing doors. You may need to tape open the door until your dog becomes comfortable with the dog house, and then train him to use the door.
Best dog houses for either indoors or outdoors I found that TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic dog house fits perfectly well. Its solid, weatherproof pine construction that’s resistant to drafts is exactly what every dog needs. The design is great and it looks absolutely stunning inside and outside, just what you’d expect from your vacation cottage.
This elevated wooden dog house is also raised from the floor which is a very useful feature, its roof has a locking arm, feet are adjustable, and you can even remove the floor if you want (although there’s rarely a reason to do that). In addition, you can also purchase a separate plastic door for this dog house.
- Raised floor with adjustable feet for leveling.
- Roof lifts up with locking arm for cleaning and maintenance.
- Solid wooden construction keeps out drafts and the elements.
- Porch offers a shape resting spot for dogs.
- The floor is removable for easy cleaning.
- Durable shingle roof.
- You will need to invest a half day assembling this product.
- Put it together where you want it as it weighs 100 pounds.
- Dragging it around the yard can cause the dog house to weaken or fall apart.
Somewhat lighter and easier to construct than the Trixie Rustic Dog House, The Petsfit model features a heavy, heavy-duty roof, cedar siding and flooring as well as a plastic flap for added protection.
The manufacturer provides adequate instructions and heavy duty hardware to get this shelter put together in 30 minutes. Additionally, the feet are adjustable to help stabilize the house on uneven terrain.
- Heavy duty construction
- Asphalt shingle roof
- Cedar tongue and groove planking on the walls, cedar flooring
- Easy assembly and good customer support should it arrive with damaged pieces
- Attractive yard ornament
- A raised floor with adjustable plastic feet and reinforced flooring in the house itself, to protect against wet weather and minimize the risk of rot
- Very sturdy and able to hold its own in bad weather
- Has an off-center entrance to minimize rain penetration and maximize space inside for your dog to maneuver
- There are also slats in the bottom for additional airflow and ventilation
- The roof is designed to be waterproof and to drain well, angled at a slant and with a grooved design
- The floor can be removed and the roof opened for easy cleaning
- Easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes although a screw driver is necessary
- The largest size currently on the market is rather small. Interior dimensions 29.5″x33.9″x35″
Other Petsfit Options
If you have a large breed consider the more basic looking but roomier model which also offers an option to add an insulation kit which attaches with adjustable straps. INNER SIZE: 41.3″Lx25.8″Wx30″H with REINFORCED floor.
One of the truly best dog houses yet very affordable is another one of Pet Squeak’s Arf Frame dog houses. This home is also very easy and quick to assemble, have similar non-toxic and weather-resistant materials to keep your dog warm and dry, and the raised floor will make sure that nothing accidentally sips into the house of your pet.
The dog home itself looks great inside and outside, and can be used indoors or outdoors. It’s a very stylish and sturdy dog house that will not only fit most backyards, but also make your yard better looking just by its presence. Check out customer reviews as well, which is where most of the positive response comes from.
- White cedar wood is naturally weather resistant, pest resistant and non-toxic
- A charming, traditional aesthetic
- A raised floor so the wood won’t rot in wet weather
- Durable yet reasonably lightweight and easy to transport
- The roof is lined on the inside for a waterproof guarantee
- Comes with a 1 year guarantee for material quality and workmanship
- Easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes, although you will require a screwdriver
- The white cedar smell is a little pungent when first unpacked; some buyers chose to air it outside for 24 hours before using
- Be careful to go slowly with the screwdriver during assembly: try not to split the wood
Best dog houses is yet another option that is a great price for value. Pet Squeak Doggy Den dog house is very easy to assemble, it looks ultra-cute and is very ergonomic. This dog house’s naturally weather-resistant materials will keep your pooch warm, safe, dry, and cool whenever necessary (all materials are non-toxic).
Surprisingly, the dog home is very light to carry if you need to, but is also durable and obviously sturdy. Raised floor is also a good advantage to have for the dog as it keeps pets warm in winter and cool in summer, as well as dry during strong rain.
Again, this has the same weatherproof properties of the previous dog house with a few extra features to keep it fresh and air-vented. It’s a very good-looking product that would likely fit in well with many yards around the country! Wooden dog house is always more stylish, too.
- White cedar wood is naturally weather and pest resistant, and non-toxic
- Raised floor to delay the onset of rot in wet weather and provide a degree of insulation
- Sturdy and durable with a reinforced roof to better resist rain
- Closing door that can easily be hooked to remain open
- Easy assembly (although does require a screw driver)
- Very traditional aesthetics
- Window slats to encourage air flow and ventilation, as well as allowing your dog views of the outside
- The window slats could allow some driving rain to enter the dog house if it’s particularly bad weather
This is a totally different type of dog house than the other ones we’ve examined so far, but is perfect for owners looking for a tent-like structure for their dog to sleep in while they’re taken on outdoor adventures. Of course, you could easily use it inside the home too.
It’s actually far easier to assemble than a normal tent – hence the ‘one-touch’ name – and stakes into the ground like a tent for humans would. This is the perfect solution for owners who want to include their dog in their outdoor activities – whether it’s a picnic, camping, time on the beach or a long trek.
- Portable and super lightweight, and packs easily into its own storage bag
- Waterproof, pest-resistant and provides 180 T UV protection
- Comes with a bottom pad for some added comfort
- Has a mesh air vent to encourage airflow in hot weather
- Has a functional door to keep your dog secure
- Check the measurements carefully – it may be a little small for large dogs
The Merry Pet MPS002 Wood Room With a View Pet House is an adorable home for smaller dogs that is durable, so it is great for both indoor and outdoor uses. This is is made with kiln dried cedar for a durable product, and is finished with natural color stains to make it beautiful for smaller pups.
The kiln dried cedar creates a very stable wood structure that withstands extreme temperatures and strong climates like extreme cold or humidity, It provides a sleeping area, balcony, step on the side, and lattice work to create a cute refuge for your pup, but don’t worry, it really is quite simple to assemble and did not take more than 20 minutes to put together. Once assembled, the roof top and panel on the bottom of the house is easily removed so you can clean is as frequently as you want to without going through a lot one effort to break it down and set it up again to clean it.
If you are looking for a specific color, you can always retain this wood to give it the look you want, which could be a fun project for you. The bottom of the dog house is raised a couple inches by small legs, keeping it off the floor and dry if it does rain or snow in your area.
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- Made from quality cedar wood
- Fast and easy to assemble
- Unique design that will fit will with your home interior and exterior
- Sufficient insulation provided by natural cedar wood
- Removable bottom panels and rooftop for easier maintenance
- Spacious and comfortable
- Relatively cheap and affordable
- Very durable
- It may arrive already damaged but in very rare cases
Best dog houses you might want to consider for your pet is Pet Zone Step 2 Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House. Unlike his smaller version from above, these best dog houses are bigger and more stable (which is why dog owners prefer this). It accommodates pets up to 130 lbs, and will keep them warm in winter and cool in summer without any issues.
Its double-walls provide the perfect insulation to achieve those goals. Pet Zone’s dog house is made in USA of very durable plastic, and you can assemble it very easily and quickly without any tools. While it’s not as stylish as the wooden dog house from Pet Squeak above, its price makes this a great option of a cheap dog house for most pet owners. It’s pretty simple but it works perfect for dogs.
- Easy to clean
- Very spacious
- Has a double wall construction
- Check upon delivery to ensure quality
I decided to include a portable dog house. This Petego Umbra Pet Portable Pet House and Containment System can be quickly constructed for your dog outside whenever necessary. It has an “umbrella” type of mechanics for easy setup and breakdown, so it usually takes about 5 minutes to put it up. You can even use this dog home in cars. Its mesh vents are very durable and claw-proof.
This is one of the most popular and best cheap dog houses due to its mobility, low price and ease of use. It’s ergonomic and clearly wouldn’t pose any issues if you want to store it. However, as some pet owners pointed out in dog house reviews, not all dogs may be keen on living in this dog tent because it doesn’t feel sturdy enough.
- It is claw proof
- Durable and spacious dog house
- Available at a discounted price
- Some may arrive when defective, but in rare cases
How often do you move with your dog? In case you always move with your dog, then you will require finding the best small indoor dog house that you can easily carry with you. This is the best small and portable dog house that you can use for both indoor and outdoor service.
It will enable your dog to enjoy different outings like camping among others. It is a durable dog house made from a high quality waterproof and breathable polyester material to ensure that your dog remains cool even during the summer. Apart from this, it also offers your dog more than enough space for a great comfort.
- Foldable and portable
- Great for the price
- Spacious and comfortable
- Always find the best quality and ensure that it is waterproof
The Blue Portable Pop-up is one of the ultimate small dog houses for indoors that is designed to serve your dog better and for the longest time possible. The dog house is constructed from a sturdy and waterproof nylon to keep your dog cool and safe.
It is also vented with a top-quality nylon mesh that aids in letting in fresh air into the house as it keeps out bugs. Besides this, this smart dog house also has a zippered door that allows for easy access. You can easily refold the dog house and with the lightweight, you can easily carry it with you to any given place.
- Light in weight
- Easily accessible
- Very spacious and comfortable
- You may find one that is kind of tricky to fold, though in rare cases.
The Precision Pet Outback Log Exterior Dog House is an outdoor home that comes in multiple sizes. The small one measures 33.5 inches by about 25 inches and stands 22 inches tall, and makes a super cute one for pups less than 40 pounds. The medium one is slightly larger at 45.5 inches by about 27 inches and is a bit taller than the small version at 27.5 inches tall. This medium log-cabin style dog house is a perfect fit for dogs 40-70 pounds. The large breed one is 45.5 inches by 44 inches, and is the tallest of the bunch at 33 inches tall. This version fits dogs 70-95 pounds.
The Precision Pet Outback Log Exterior Dog House features an off-center entrance to create more space and shelter so your pup has plenty of room to turn around and get comfortable in its shelter. It is easy to assemble and take apart since it comes in three easy steps. That’s really important so you can always take it apart to clean it and set it up without much effort.
The materials used in this product make it one of the best outdoor dog houses. It is made with solid fir wood with a natural cedar finish for a cool dog home that looks beautiful anywhere you put it.
The slanted wood roof makes it the best all weather dog house because it allows rain and other things of nature run off easily from the roof top, so you are not stuck cleaning out the roof every time there is rain or leaves falling from the trees. This option includes plastic feet which raises the floor up from the floor, so it keeps the home and your pup dry and comfortable from rugged outdoor weather conditions.
The great thing about the exterior is that there are a couple additional pieces you can purchase separately to make this a full proof, warm and comfortable home for your pup.
First off is an insulation kit you can purchase separately to make it an insulated home for your pup. The insulation kit is an easy to assemble simple single zipper and velcro attachment that goes in the exterior set up.
It’s made with a durable, two-layer canvas to keep the insulation material safe against rugged outdoor conditions, and is made with a triple layer polyform, which is guaranteed to keep your pet dry, insulated and warm through cold winter months. It comes in small, medium and large sizes to fit with the three different sizes of the log style exterior, so make sure you are buying the right interior size for the dog house you have.
The other additional purchase option is the Precision Outback Dog House Door. It’s a simple set up really, but it does work really well in keeping cold out and heat in. The “door” is strips of heavy duty plastic that hangs from the top of the dog door. It is clear so your pup can still see out the door and get a view of the outside, but it hangs heavily to block a lot of the wind chill coming in and heat exiting from the door.
It is a simple but great addition to your dog’s new house. The complete package, with this house door and the insulation kit mentioned above, does a superb job in keeping the cold out and heat in, making this combination one of the best options for cold winters.
The Precision Pet Outback Log Exterior Dog housing is easy to assemble, and most importantly, is sturdy and lasts in rugged outdoor conditions. It is definitely made with outdoor use in mind. The slanted roof, while it seems like a small detail, is really important when it rains. Without this slanted roof design, you would have some major clean up duties on your dog home any time leaves fell or rain came down, so it’s a good thing to have.
The design is really cute and well done so it’s going to look really good in any space you put it in. The natural cedar finish with dark brown trim creates a classic look that you are going to love. One other huge factor that makes this the best option for cold weather is that separate insulation kit I mentioned above. It really does make a world of a difference in making the space warm and cozy during winter months, and even helps keep it cooler during hot summer weather.
The insulation fits perfectly within the dog house so you won’t have any issues getting it set up, and it really does stay put, so you don’t have to worry about it moving around and getting messed up, even with your active dogs playing around in the space. In addition to this piece, if you complete the package with the heavy duty plastic strips that make up the door, it makes the best dog housing that will keep your pup warm for sure. These additions really do make it one of the best insulated small dog houses on the market today.
Since this pet home is made of wood, it may begin to soak up a lot of liquid if you face heavy snow or rain for extended periods of time. It’s the nature of the material it is made up of, so it is may be the best option for hot weather, not necessarily for cold winter climates.
One other thing to consider is the size. It is a covered home, so really larger dogs may have a harder time easily getting in and out. Just keep your dog’s size in mind when looking for the best dog houses for your pet.
You obviously want to make sure your mutt can be comfortable entering and exiting the his home, so measure your pet and compare it to the three different sizes offered by Precision Pet, and choose the one that works comfortably for him. The insulation kit and the plastic strips that make up the pet door really are great options and they both do add a huge difference to making it one of the best insulated large pet houses, but you do have to purchase these pieces separately — it does not come originally with the exterior — which is a shame because the combination is what really makes this one of the best outdoor dog houses on the market today.
Additionally, unfortunately, these do not come in extra large options, so if you are the pet parent of an extra large dog breed, you are missing out on an option for an extra large insulated pet housing.
The Petmate 290710 Barn Home III for Small Pets is a barn shaped house for your mutt that helps to protect it from the outdoor elements like wind, sun and rain. There is an air ventilation system in the rear of the barn home so there is constant air circulation while still keeping in the heat and keeping out the draft.
This barn home comes in three different sizes. The small one fits pups 15 to 25 pounds and measure 29 inches by 22 inches and 20 inches high. The medium version of the barn home is recommended for dogs 25 to 50 pounds, and the large version is recommended for dogs 50 to 90 pounds. At this large size, it would make a great German Shepherd dog housing or other pups of that size and weight.
The barn home is made with quality material that is super sturdy and strong, so it lasts long and stays put, even through the more extreme weather conditions. Best of all, these barn homes are designed in the USA with the highest standards in mind for your dog, so you know you are getting the best for your furry friend. This is super important to me as a pet parent, and quality material is something to always look out for when looking for the best dog houses for your pup.
The Petite Barn Home III is a super sturdy option for your pup, and we have seen it survive super strong winds and rain without budging one bit. It’s wider than you would think and quite roomy inside, making it one of the best large dog houses for those of you with bigger pups.
This home was definitely created with outdoor use in mind, so you can rest assured that it will keep you pet dry and comfortable, even in more extreme weather conditions. The ventilation system ensures that the pooch gets fresh circulated air while he is inside it, but still keeps the cold air from getting in. The back side is sloped, which is super important from keeping rain and snow from getting into the house. It just rolls off the back.
The pet barn comes in two separate pieces, so it’s super easy to assemble — you just connect the top and bottom together. This also means it is really easy to clean by disassembling the two pieces and washing out the inside and outside of the barn home.
This barn home is made of smooth plastic material and has a smooth bottom floor inside of the home. While this does create a comfortable space for your dog, it also makes it pretty difficult to secure any type of soft fabric in there to create a warm and cozy space for your pup.
Putting in blankets or towels for your pet into the house makes the floor super slippery since the fabric just slips all over the slick and smooth floors, which can be pretty annoying if you have an active pet that moves around a lot. If you are pretty set on putting in some type of warm fabric in there for your pup, you can purchase a rubber mat to put on the floor and add the fabric material on top of that.
That will prevent any slipping around. So while the slickness of the bottom is a relatively easy fix, it is kind of annoying that you may have to make an additional purchase to make it work. One other thing to note about the barn home is that it is not an insulated unit, so if you are specifically looking for an insulated product for your dog, you can take a look at the other reviews in this post. This specific dog house is a protective covering but not an insulated model.
Related post: Best Grooming Tables For Sale In 2018
10 More Best Dog Houses Options as Alternatives
The above list of fifteen best dog houses should provide every pet owner with enough choice to find the ultimate best houses for a dog. These were the best picks in terms of comfort, quality, and cost-to-value ratio. However, if you were unable to pick any house for your pet in the above list, or even none of these were affordable enough, I’ve got you covered. We found ten more alternatives of cheap dog houses which I recommend you browse through. The below best dog houses for indoors and outdoors have been well-rated by other dog owners and are fairly popular as well.
The Suncast Large Deluxe Dog House is a durable home made of sturdy resin construction and comes with crowned floors. Of all the dog housing reviews we have looked at in this post, this one is the best extra large option we have seen and fits dogs up to one hundred pounds.
This model already comes with vinyl doors to help keep the wind, rain and snow out and keep the heat in, and you can even personalize the house with your dog’s name right above the entrance. This house comes in two separate pieces and you just need to snap it together and you do not need any extra tools, which means it is super easy to assemble and take apart as necessary to move around or clean.
This is a really sturdy pet home that is leak proof and does a very good job of standing up against the forces of nature, making it a great option for outdoor use. This is true whether it is summer or winter — in the winter it will keep the cold, rain and snow out and keep the heat in, and in the summer the house will keep your pet cool from the heat when it is staying outdoors. The house has a blue roof and light gray bottom that makes up the house, and the color and material does not fade over time.
One of the cheapest dog houses for indoors out there, this is an affordable pet house for anybody with very small dogs. It’s made from very soft yet cheap and low quality materials, and is generally good for teacup dog breeds or pets around the size of up to 10-15 lbs. The design of this looks and feels cheap, but for the price it’s offered, this may be a good temporary indoor dog house for many pet owners.
Dog owners who can’t get over the idea of having one of the best dog houses for outdoors but cannot afford the expensive wooden house for dogs listed above will find this very stylish but less ergonomic wood dog house with a cheap price tag very appealing. It fits medium sized dogs and has a decent looking exterior. The design is cheap and made of low quality materials, however, which ultimately makes this a lightweight, easy to move.
A very affordable dog house with a cute design, this one makes a perfect dog home slash dog bed for indoor. It’s made from ultra-soft polyfoam and is covered poly fabric, and feels like a secure and cozy soft dog house for small dogs. Anti-slip material and easy to wash stylish design are great additions. Considering the small price tag, this is an inexpensive, affordable dog house for indoors that will fit majority pets.
This is a very cheap and affordable dog tent made with average quality materials, and it’s a good alternative to an outdoor dog house. Its large removable cover and flooring makes it easy to wash the tent. Even though you can keep your dog in this dog tent, most pets do not enjoy the design of this, therefore it’s best used as a dog house cover or a soft dog crate cover, particularly for those that are indoors.
For owners not particularly interested in a study, wooden dog house, this soft dog crate may be a great alternative. This is a good fit for most dogs of small to medium size under 40 lbs. One of the advantages of using a dog crate as opposed to one of the best dog houses outdoor is that it has a folding steel frame and can be easily moved, making it easy for travel. Water resistant material makes it a good outdoor dog crate, too.
Often bought as cat house, this small and cheap dog house works very well for small dogs and majority small dog breeds. There’s no construction required since it’s a soft dog house made from ultra soft Sherpa fabric. It’s machine-washable and has an insert which you can remove for washing separately. The main advantage of this small dog house is that it’s very lightweight and mobile, and it’s one of the cheapest ones.
A medium size plastic house, average design with a fairly durable construction and a very cheap dog house compared to most other options on the list. It’s very easy to assemble and the concept is very simplistic as well, which makes the dog house look cheap. However, it may be a good option for dog owners looking to get a shelter for their pet outside for any weather and for an inexpensive price tag.
An extra large dog house perfect for big dogs and medium to large breeds. It’s one of the more stylish best dog houses that are out there and has an elevated design. It has its flaws: there’s issue with being too fragile during shipping, with some pet owners receiving this dog lodge with broken parts. And even though it’s advertised as a dog house for large dogs, it won’t fit the largest breeds but rather medium to large dogs.
If you are looking for the best dog houses and don’t mind paying a high price, you should buy this item. It features charming covered porch and many others. Other features include long lasting fir wood construction. It also comes with raised floor which keeps your dog dry and clean. The price may be high, but what it can offer is simply a lot.
Related post: Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate Review
The above ten alternative best dog houses for indoors and outdoors completes our list. This should be more than enough for most dog owners to find something for their dogs. Before you pick your next dog home, make sure you know what criteria to look at, read reviews of dog owners dog houses and measure your dog for a good fit.
How to pick the best dog houses for your specific dog?
Now that you have a list of the best dog houses for outdoors and indoors, you also need to know which one of these will fit your dog and whether it will serve its purpose well for both of you.
Dog trainers and other canine experts stress the importance of measuring your dog and then looking at the specifications of the dog house you’re about to purchase. Technically, your dog should always be able to stand inside the dog house, turn around and lie down easily whenever he wants to.
Measuring your dog for a dog house is almost the same as measuring a dog for clothing, a dog crate or dog doors. Simply take your dog’s height, width and length into account, as well as your dog’s weight.
There are many different options of best dog houses for indoors and outdoors to choose from. Aside from the measurements and personal preferences such as design or color of a dog house, what would work best for your own Fido highly depends on the location where you live, living conditions and your dog’s behavior and preferences.
Tips about best dog houses size to choose.
As we mentioned above, making sure you choose the right dog house size for your dog is very important. If they are cramped or bump their heads or elbows trying to move around inside the dog house, they will stop trying to go into it at all. Follow these useful tips on dog house sizing.
- Make sure that your dog can turn around and lie down completely stretched out inside the dog house. You don’t want them to have to stay curled up in a ball just to be inside their own house. Measure your dog when he is lying stretched out and make note of the measurement. You will need it later when determining the width you need.
- It may sound simpler to just purchase a huge dog house regardless of the size of the dog because at least you know the dog will fit, right? No, that won’t work and here’s why. When you have a lot of space around your dog during the cold months, your dog will find it impossible to keep warm. Having a cozier and appropriately sized dog house means that their own body heat will be able to help keep them warm as well as insulation.
- If you are purchasing a puppy or already have a puppy, you will need to get a dog house that will fit the dog when it is an adult. This will prevent you from wasting money on a dog house that will only fit them for a short time. Keep in mind what we mentioned above and if your puppy will be outdoors in colder weather in a larger dog house, you will need to make adjustments to ensure his warmth and comfort.
- The doorways that lead into the doghouse are typically smaller for several reasons. By having the door smaller and not just an open wall, they are more protected from the elements and won’t experience heat loss. You don’t want a doorway the dog has to squeeze through just to get in. This is very uncomfortable for them will result in them refusing to enter the dog house.
Measure your dog’s correct size to choose right the best dog houses.
This is a simple process that will help you choose the right dog house size for your dog. Make sure that you know his or her weight as well. Measure your dog’s length from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail with his tail extended. (Have someone hold it out straight if it’s down while you are measuring.)
An important part of the dog grooming process is to dog nail clippers. After all, the constant “click, click, click” can become quite irritating when they walk along your floor. When you hear this, you know it’s time to clip your dog’s nails.
read more >>>
Next, measure from the shoulder to the ground and from the top of his head to the ground. This will ensure that the dog house you choose will be big enough and tall enough for him to stand up in and turn around fully.
It’s fine for the top of the doorway to match the measurement from shoulder to the ground because many dogs will automatically lower their heads as they go through. If the doorway is taller than shoulder height, this is fine too and will not require them to lower their heads at all as they go through which is more comfortable for them.
Ideally the dog house you choose will be tall enough for him to stand in with his neck fully extended in its natural position and his or her head won’t touch the ceiling of the dog house.
Some Final Tips for the Best Results
- Look for dog houses that are insulated to help them stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Choose a model that is elevated off the ground so moisture will be kept away from the dog and the floor of the dog house.
- Cedar shavings are a great choice for bedding because they are a natural repellent for ticks, and fleas. It will also prevent the growth of mildew and mold but you will need to make sure the bedding is changed regularly so it doesn’t become damp.
- Make sure that the dog house has ventilation of some kind to keep air circulating through it. This is much healthier and comfortable for the dog.
If you take care to choose right the best dog houses for your dog, that is the right size as well, they will love being in it. Find a good location in your backyard for their house. Preferably in partial shade so they can benefit from the shade and still get the sun’s rays in the winter months as well.
The information we have shared with you will help you decide what your needs are and will make the process of choosing that perfect dog house much easier. With the right knowledge you will save time and money and not purchase something your dog will hate and you won’t like.
Dog houses are important for the health, comfort and safety of your dog. Doing your part to ensure it’s a great choice that will fit your needs and your dog’s natural preferences will give them a house they will use for years.
Have a good day!!
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR
Like this? Subscribe for more actionable tips for dog owners!