These best dog houses have long graced the backyards of homes, as well as various institutions requiring the indoor & outdoor house for dogs that are employed in protection of property.
Puppies and dogs enjoy dozing indoors or outdoors during the daylight hours, in locations where they can keep an eye on the neighborhood activities or teach invading squirrels a lesson. When selecting a site for your new dog house, choose one that give your pup a vista of the neighborhood to make sure he will maximize use of the shelter.
The houses can provide quick shelter during the sudden rainstorm or a cozy den area for afternoon napping.
Welcome to the readers who have visited my article, start joining our community to share experiences on how to take care of dogs,
recipes, good stories, attractive videos, Interesting engravings are you captured on your dog. I am here to help you make this happen, make your life and your dog the best. You can support us here.
Table of Contents
- 1 Tips For Buying Exactly The Best Dog Houses
- 2 What are the benefits?
- 3 Using A Outdoor Dog Houses
- 4 Why Does Dog Need The Best Indoor houses?
- 5 What’s the Difference Between In-Outdoor Houses?
- 6 Materials
- 7 15 Best Dog Houses Comparison
- 8 15 Picks of The Best Dog Houses With Cost-effective, High Quality
- 9 Raincol Arf Frame Dog House
- 9.1 Pet Squeak Doggy Den House For Dogs
- 9.2 YOOYE One-Touch Portable Folding Large Dog House Tent for Indoor, Outdoor
- 9.3 Best Dog Houses By Merry Pet Wood
- 9.4 Pet Zone Tuff-N-Rugged Weather-Resistant Dog House
- 9.5 Petego Umbra Portable Pet House & Containment System
- 9.6 Lifeunion Portable Folding Dog House
- 9.7 JOVERS Blue Portable Pop-Up Pet Tent
- 9.8 Petmate Precision Pet Log Cabin
- 9.9 Best Dog Houses From Petmate Barnhome III
- 10 10 More Best Dog Houses Options As Alternatives
- 10.1 Suncast DH350 Outdoor Dog House with Door
- 10.2 SKL Cat Dog Bed House Black Portable
- 10.3 Pet Squeak Porch Pups Dog House
- 10.4 Portable Indoor Pet House From Best Pet Supplies
- 10.5 GigaTent Pet PopUp Tent with Fitted Foam Pad
- 10.6 MidWest Portable Tent Crate
- 10.7 Best Friends by Sheri Pet Igloo in Sherpa
- 10.8 always-quality Indoor Outdoor Dog House
- 10.9 Boomer & George Large Dog House Lodge with Porch Deck
- 10.10 Boomer & George Wooden Barn Dog House
- 11 How to choose the Indoor Outdoor Houses For Dogs
- 12 Conclusion
Tips For Buying Exactly The Best Dog Houses
- For a weatherproof house, choose one with a roof that overhangs the entrance to prevent rain from pouring in.
- Vinyl flaps can be installed on most dog houses for added protection in the winter, however they restrict the flow of air during warm months.
- To prevent flooding of the interior, select a dog house that has feet to raise it off of the ground or plan to put a pallet underneath it.
- Plastic houses are easier to keep sanitary, however they are much lighter weight and should be anchored to prevent them from flying away during high wind storms.
- Select a dog house that is slightly larger (4 inches each way) than the room that is necessary for him to stand up and turn around. Dogs like a cozy den area, however if the space is too small or too vast, he is unlikely to use the house.
What are the benefits?
The dog houses are exactly what they say on the tin: a house for your dog. While many people assume they’re only useful for owners who keep their dogs outside, we would wholeheartedly recommend a dog house for any dog, regardless of whether they stay indoors or outdoors.
Different dogs and owners will find varied uses for dog houses but there are some universal benefits that every dog can enjoy from these products.
- Provide shelter from the weather outside
- Give your dog a space of their own
- If portable, can be taken on family holidays and outdoor adventures
- Are more aesthetically pleasing than your typical training crate
- Are available in lots of different designs and styles that can be chosen to fit your own tastes
Using A Outdoor Dog Houses
While most people choose to keep their dog indoors, some owners are forced by circumstance, whether due to allergies, space issues or behavioral problems, to house their dog outdoors. In these cases, a outdoor dog house is really a mandatory purchase as they provide your pup with much needed shelter against the elements.
Without such shelter, you could be making your dog vulnerable to fear, illness, predators and even death. A quality house will ensure that your dog is kept safe and warm from the outside.
It’s important to ensure that outdoor dogs get the human attention and interaction they need and that they are brought inside during particularly bad weather. Also make sure that your yard is properly enclosed, to avoid the risk of attack by another animal.
Why Does Dog Need The Best Indoor houses?
The houses for dog aren’t only good for outdoor use. They can easily be put in your home and function as a more attractive version of a crate for your dog. Just like a crate, these best dog houses will allow them to build a den; essentially, they can enjoy their own space while still in the vicinity of their family.
Most dogs have an innate tendency to build a den that harkens back to their ancient, wild dog ancestry. When your pup starts chilling out under your desk or in your laundry basket, that’s them building their own den! They like to have a space comfortable to fit their size but still snug enough to make them feel secure and able to watch all around them.
If your dog has already been crate trained, it’s likely that they’ll take to a dog house quickly and easily. Regardless of any experience in a crate, they’ll probably be curious around the new structure at first and then ease into it gently with your encouragement.
What’s the Difference Between In-Outdoor Houses?
Why do need Life Vest For Dogs? Some dogs do know how to swim and really enjoy the water, but most dogs are not naturally good swimmers. Rough water, bad weather conditions, fatigue, or distractions can all lead to tragedy when a dog is in the water. That’s why you need?
Read more >>>
The outdoor dog houses is strictly practical. As it needs to stand up and robustly shelter your dog in all weathers, it should be sturdy, rain and wind-proof and ideally bug-resistant too. It may be aesthetically pleasing, but that should only come second to the practical capabilities of the product.
However, with an dog house for indoors, how it looks is likely to be more important than its sturdiness, as it has no need to provide weather shelter for dog. Of course, all houses that are intended to be used for outdoor use will be perfectly fine to be used inside too.
Most owners are likely to choose a house for dogs that somehow complements the interior design of the family home and that which looks cute and appealing to your dog to curl up in.
Some particularly quaint dog house even mimic popular home designs.
Material composition is the major feature that differentiates dog houses, and most products on the market can be divided into these three categories:
- Plastic – usually weatherproof and of a modern design.
- Wood – traditional looking, sturdy and potentially weatherproof.
- Canvas –more appropriately known as dog tents, and are primarily used as a portable, temporary shelter for a dog when you’re camping or involved in some other outdoor activity.
In this article, we’ll analyze the benefits of using the best dog houses for indoor and outdoor how to pick the right one for dog.
15 Best Dog Houses Comparison
◊ Before going to review articles for each product, let’s take a look at some product information and consider carefully before buying dog houses.
Ourview: Best Outdoor Dog Kennel Reviews
“Best outdoor dog kennel are a great way to give your dog access to fresh air and sunshine without having to constantly supervise your dog. Large breeds and working breeds especially enjoy the chance to be outdoors and get more exercises than they would on a traditional walk.”
Factors To Consider To Buy The Best Dog Houses
There are so many dog house options on the market that you should have a clear idea of what sort of product you’re looking for before you actually start looking.
A strong and robust structure is one of the most important features to find in a house. You should ask yourself whether it’s strong enough to stand up to the weight and power of your dog and, if it’s to be used outside, whether it can withstand strong winds and rain.
Obviously, some of the best dog houses will require stronger structures than others, and you should look to buy something suitably sturdy for the weather your home usually experiences. It’s unlikely that your average dog house in Albuquerque would be just as suitable for a dog living in the wilds of Colorado, for instance.
If you keep your dog outdoor, you should also ensure that the structure is strong enough to protect your pup from any wild animals or other potential predators that could enter your yard. A latched front door could be particularly useful here.
Ability to resist with bad weather.
Aside from how sturdy the structure is, you should see if the dog house sports any additional features which make it as weather resistant as possible. Not only will a weatherproof house protect your dog, it will also ensure some longevity in the product as it won’t be continually battered by the elements.
Ideally, the roof should overhang the entrance to the house to ensure that minimal rain enters through the front door. Some houses also sport off-center entrances, which minimizes rainfall penetration while also allowing your dog some extra room to maneuver inside.
A raised floor is good way to keep the house for dog as dry as possible from a wet ground, while any insulation included will keep them warm in cooler climates. If there isn’t any insulation, you will need to consider if you need to buy additional accessories, like a heating pad.
What’s it Made of?
Different materials confer different benefits when it comes to houses, and some will be more suitable than others for your dog’s particular circumstances.
Wooden dog houses are particularly popular because they’re often the most visually appealing and, if of a high quality, offer natural weatherproofing and a degree of insulation. Make sure that you choose one with a raised floor if it’s to be used outside, otherwise you’ll risk rot setting in quickly with any wet weather.
Owners looking specifically for waterproof dog houses will generally opt for plastic ones. These products are often easier to assemble than their wooden counterparts too; usually they’re comprised of just a couple of large pieces that can be snapped together without any need for additional tools or labor.
Canvas is the material to choose for if you’re looking for a temporary tent-like structure for your dog and don’t require any additional insulation or sturdiness. This is the material you should go for if you want something portable and lightweight. They should also provide shade from the sun and, ideally, UV protection too.
>>Read more: Top 10 Best Cat Scratching Post Tower Reviews
What Does it Look Like?
We know that sturdiness is the most important factor in a dog house, particularly one being kept outside, but its aesthetic value is also important, arguably more so if it’s to be kept indoors.
While there are modern ‘igloo’ style houses available, you might want to consider whether you’d prefer a more traditional-looking structure, which many owners consider cute, particularly if it looks like a mini replica of their own house! Ideally, you’ll want something that fits in well with your own house’s architecture and interior design.
Probably the most important thing to be sure of before you buy your dog house is exactly how big it is. This can be one of the more difficult factors to gauge when buying such products online, but generally most manufacturers provide measurements and buying guides.
The ideal size for a house is one in which them can lie down comfortably, as well as stand up and turn around in. You don’t want it to be too small for obvious reasons, but you also want to make sure that it’s not too big: too much space will mean that your dog won’t see it as secure enough to be their sanctuary.
Remember to account for the size of the entrance, as well as the inside of the house. It’s no good if your dog is able to fit absolutely fine inside but they can’t squeeze their shoulders through to get in in the first place!
Most manufacturers offer a variety of size configurations, but it could be risky to just guess whether your dog needs a medium or large, for instance. Firstly, you should weigh your dog to check that they are within the weight bracket for that particular size, before using a tape measure to accurately gauge their height, length and width.
You should then be able to judge whether your dog is able to fit in the dog house with room to spare for turning and standing.
15 Picks of The Best Dog Houses With Cost-effective, High Quality
Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban
Our top pick is the best dog houses by Petmate Indigo House with Microban. This new house for your pet includes a doorway that’s extended and offset to prevent drafts, rain, snow, wind and other type of nasty stuff coming inside of the house like it does with some other ones.
Another thing that no other one of those houses for dog has is its Microban, this stuff helps to fight off random odors, bacteria, mold, mildew, stains, fungi and other gross growths that can accumulate around the house or even inside of it over time.
Petmate Indigo dog house is made out of structural foam which provides perfect level of insulation for any season. There’s also a roof vent that helps your Fido to breath better with continual air flow inside of the home. The house itself is very easy to setup – takes just minutes, and no tools are required at all. Check out all those customer reviews on Amazon from dog owners stoked about their pet’s new house.
- Made with Microban, which discourages the growth of odor causing germs, bacteria, mold and mildew.
- Offset doorway offers protection from wind and rain.
- Built-in structural foam adds to the insulating benefits of the design.
- Tool Free Installation
- Easy to open an clean when required.
- Most durable outdoor dog house on the market.
- Heavyweight (30 pounds for the large size) does not require anchoring the dog house.
- Door flap and self heating pad are available options.
- Very durable and sturdy
- An offset entrance to protect the interior from rain and wind
- Manufactured using Microban, which limits the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew
- Has an air vent in the roof to encourage air flow
- Easy to assemble with no tools necessary
- Made in the USA
- Not as decorative as other dog houses on the market.
- Sizing runs small: Large accommodates up to 70 pound dogs. (They say 70-90 pounds).
- One of the more expensive dog houses, but also one of the best values.
- If you have a stout dog, be sure to check the dimensions of the doorway to be sure your dog can fit into it.
- If you purchase the wrong size online, it will cost you a fortune to return it. Shipping on the large can run as much as $100.00.
- Latches frequently arrive broken, so be sure to purchase from a seller with a solid return policy and good customer service reviews.
Rain and snow can get into this dog house. You can add their custom flaps add-ons to the door way, or as a less expensive option, you can drape a large rubber/carpeted garage mat over the igloo entrance to extend a makeshift “porch” covering to the entrance.
The Best Dog Houses By Suncast DH250
Suncast makes two models of their house, which are essentially the same house with minor cosmetic differences between them. Together they are the most popular dog house on the market.
These best dog houses snap together easily, but will also snap apart easily with any amount of rough-housing.
The houses are made from thin plastic sheets that acquire rigidity through their attachment to the other pieces. As the parts are snapped together, they gain their strength from their adjoining pieces. If a dog stands on one of these dog house roofs, it is likely to collapse.
The flaps to keep rain out are located on the inside of the doorway. Therefore when rain hits them, they guide the water into the dog house.
- Tool-free assembly, snaps together easily in minutes.
- Includes door flaps that are easily removed and added back to the unit.
- Includes letters you can add on to the front to personalize with your dog’s name.
- Sturdy enough for a laid back dog or a senior dog.
- Inexpensive relative to other houses on the market.
- Does not provide much insulation; you will need to add a self heating pad for cold winter days.
- Not raised off the ground.
- The thin floor easily allows water in, and has a snap together seam to it. You will want to attach this to a raised board or pallet to prevent flooding or liftoff in a storm.
ASL Solutions Insulated Dog Palace
A much more expensive option of best dog houses is the ASL Solutions Insulated Palace. To be honest, its price makes me want to drop this house. With that being said, this dog house itself is great!
It’s very well insulated which is important for dogs in more extreme climates (too cold or too hot). The barn style dog home also looks good, has up to 4 inches of real Styro/EPS foam for its insulation per each panel to maintain a comfortable for the canine temperature inside. The door is self-closing and very easy for pets to pass through, and the house itself is durable and easy to clean.
- Easy Tool-free assembly.
- Sloped floor and drain hole to remove any liquid that seeps in or runs off of your dog.
- The insulation inside the plastic walls makes the house well insulated in winter.
- Raised floor prevents flooding.
- Durable, expect it to last 4 years or more with normal usage.
- Attractive barn design
- Comes in two colors: tan and gray
- Insulated with EPS foam in the walls and roof
- Exterior is made of ultra-durable polystyrene
- Self-closing door
- Has a viewing window for your dog to see the outside world
- Comes with self-storing window panels that can be adjusted to close in the cold and cross-ventilate in the heat
- Raised off the ground for extra insulation
- There is a slight slope in the floor and a drain hole, in case your dog goes to the toilet inside
- It’s almost totally watertight
- Dogs may be wary of the self closing doors. You may need to tape open the door until your dog becomes comfortable with the dog house, and then train him to use the door.
TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic House For Dogs
You looking for the best dog houses for either indoor or outdoor? Maybe the TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic fits perfectly well. Its solid, weatherproof pine construction that’s resistant to drafts is exactly what every dog needs. The design is great and it looks absolutely stunning inside and outside, just what you’d expect from your vacation cottage.
This elevated wooden dog house is also raised from the floor which is a very useful feature, its roof has a locking arm, feet are adjustable, and you can even remove the floor if you want. In addition, you can also purchase a separate plastic door for this dog house.
- Raised floor with adjustable feet for leveling.
- Roof lifts up with locking arm for cleaning and maintenance.
- Solid wooden construction keeps out drafts and the elements.
- Porch offers a shape resting spot for dogs.
- The floor is removable for easy cleaning.
- Durable shingle roof.
- You will need to invest a half day assembling this product.
- Put it together where you want it as it weighs 100 pounds.
- Dragging it around the yard can cause the dog house to weaken or fall apart.
Petsfit Outdoor Wooden Dog House
Somewhat lighter and easier to construct than the Trixie Rustic House, The Petsfit wooden house model features a heavy, heavy-duty roof, cedar siding and flooring as well as a plastic flap for added protection.
The manufacturer provides adequate instructions and heavy duty hardware to get this shelter put together in 30 minutes. Additionally, the feet are adjustable to help stabilize the house on uneven terrain.
- Heavy duty construction
- Asphalt shingle roof
- Cedar tongue and groove planking on the walls, cedar flooring
- Easy assembly and good customer support should it arrive with damaged pieces
- Attractive yard ornament
- A raised floor with adjustable plastic feet and reinforced flooring in the house itself, to protect against wet weather and minimize the risk of rot
- Very sturdy and able to hold its own in bad weather
- Has an off-center entrance to minimize rain penetration and maximize space inside for your dog to maneuver
- There are also slats in the bottom for additional airflow and ventilation
- The roof is designed to be waterproof and to drain well, angled at a slant and with a grooved design
- The floor can be removed and the roof opened for easy cleaning
- Easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes although a screw driver is necessary
- The house is only 2 sizes: medium and large, not suitable for small dogs.”
Raincol Arf Frame Dog House
One of the truly best dog houses yet very affordable is another one of Arf Frame by Raincol brand. This house is also very easy and quick to assemble, have similar non-toxic and weather-resistant materials to keep your dog warm and dry, and the raised floor will make sure that nothing accidentally sips into the house of your pet.
The dog house itself looks great inside and outside, and can be used indoors or outdoors. It’s a very stylish and sturdy dog house that will not only fit most backyards, but also make your yard better looking just by its presence. Check out customer reviews as well, which is where most of the positive response comes from.
- White cedar wood is naturally weather resistant, pest resistant and non-toxic
- A charming, traditional aesthetic
- A raised floor so the wood won’t rot in wet weather
- Durable yet reasonably lightweight and easy to transport
- The roof is lined on the inside for a waterproof guarantee
- Comes with a 1 year guarantee for material quality and workmanship
- Easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes, although you will require a screwdriver
- The white cedar smell is a little pungent when first unpacked; some buyers chose to air it outside for 24 hours before using
- Be careful to go slowly with the screwdriver during assembly: try not to split the wood
Pet Squeak Doggy Den House For Dogs
These best dog houses is yet another option that is a great price for value. Pet Squeak Doggy Den dog house is very easy to assemble, it looks ultra-cute and is very ergonomic. This dog house’s naturally weather-resistant materials will keep your pooch warm, safe, dry, and cool whenever necessary (all materials are non-toxic).
Surprisingly, the house is very light to carry if you need to, but is also durable and obviously sturdy. Raised floor is also a good advantage to have for the dog as it keeps pets warm in winter and cool in summer, as well as dry during strong rain.
Again, this has the same weatherproof properties of the previous dog house with a few extra features to keep it fresh and air-vented. It’s a very good-looking product that would likely fit in well with many yards around the country! Wooden house is always more stylish, too.
- White cedar wood is naturally weather and pest resistant, and non-toxic
- Raised floor to delay the onset of rot in wet weather and provide a degree of insulation
- Sturdy and durable with a reinforced roof to better resist rain
- Closing door that can easily be hooked to remain open
- Easy assembly (although does require a screw driver)
- Very traditional aesthetics
- Window slats to encourage air flow and ventilation, as well as allowing your dog views of the outside
- The window slats could allow some driving rain to enter the dog house if it’s particularly bad weather
YOOYE One-Touch Portable Folding Large Dog House Tent for Indoor, Outdoor
This is a totally different type of dog house than the other ones we’ve examined so far, but is perfect for owners looking for a tent-like structure for their dog to sleep in while they’re taken on outdoor adventures. Of course, you could easily use it inside the home too.
It’s actually far easier to assemble than a normal tent – hence the ‘one-touch’ name – and stakes into the ground like a tent for humans would. This is the perfect solution for owners who want to include their dog in their outdoor activities – whether it’s a picnic, camping, time on the beach or a long trek.
- Portable and super lightweight, and packs easily into its own storage bag
- Waterproof, pest-resistant and provides 180 T UV protection
- Comes with a bottom pad for some added comfort
- Has a mesh air vent to encourage airflow in hot weather
- Has a functional door to keep your dog secure
- Check the measurements carefully – it may be a little small for large dogs
Best Dog Houses By Merry Pet Wood
The Merry Pet Wood Room With a View pet house is an adorable house for smaller dogs that is durable, so it is great for both indoor and outdoor uses. This is is made with kiln dried cedar for a durable product, and is finished with natural color stains to make it beautiful for them.
The kiln dried cedar creates a very stable wood structure that withstands extreme temperatures and strong climates like extreme cold or humidity, It provides a sleeping area, balcony, step on the side, and lattice work to create a cute refuge for your pup, but don’t worry, it really is quite simple to assemble and did not take more than 20 minutes to put together. Once assembled, the roof top and panel on the bottom of the house is easily removed so you can clean is as frequently as you want to without going through a lot one effort to break it down and set it up again to clean it.
If you are looking for a specific color, you can always retain this wood to give it the look you want, which could be a fun project for you. The bottom of the dog house is raised a couple inches by small legs, keeping it off the floor and dry if it does rain or snow in your area.
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- Made from quality cedar wood
- Fast and easy to assemble
- Unique design that will fit will with your home interior and exterior
- Sufficient insulation provided by natural cedar wood
- Removable bottom panels and rooftop for easier maintenance
- Spacious and comfortable
- Relatively cheap and affordable
- Very durable
- It may arrive already damaged but in very rare cases
Pet Zone Tuff-N-Rugged Weather-Resistant Dog House
Unlike his smaller version from above, these best dog houses from Pet Zone Tuff-N-Rugged are bigger and more stable, which is why dog owners prefer this. It accommodates pets up to 130 lbs, and will keep them warm in winter and cool in summer without any issues.
Its double-walls provide the perfect insulation to achieve those goals. Pet Zone house is made in USA of very durable plastic, and you can assemble it very easily and quickly without any tools. While it’s not as stylish as the wooden house, its price makes this a great option of a cheap dog house for most pet owners. It’s pretty simple but it works perfect for them.
- Easy to clean
- Very spacious
- Has a double wall construction
- Check upon delivery to ensure quality
Petego Umbra Portable Pet House & Containment System
This Petego Umbra Pet Portable Pet House and Containment System can be quickly constructed for your dog outside whenever necessary. It has an “umbrella” type of mechanics for easy setup and breakdown, so it usually takes about 5 minutes to put it up. You can even use this dog home in cars. Its mesh vents are very durable and claw-proof.
This is one of the most popular houses due to its mobility, low price and ease of use. It’s ergonomic and clearly wouldn’t pose any issues if you want to store it. However, as some pet owners pointed out in dog house reviews, not all dogs may be keen on living in this dog tent because it doesn’t feel sturdy enough.
- It is claw proof
- Durable and spacious dog house
- Available at a discounted price
- Some may arrive when defective, but in rare cases
Lifeunion Portable Folding Dog House
How often do you move with your dog? In case you always move with your dog, then you will require finding the best small dog house by Lifeunion brand that you can easily carry with you. This is the small and portable house for dogs that you can use for both indoor and outdoor.
It will enable your dog to enjoy different outings like camping among others. It is a durable dog house made from a high quality waterproof and breathable polyester material to ensure that your dog remains cool even during the summer. Apart from this, it also offers your dog more than enough space for a great comfort.
- Foldable and portable
- Great for the price
- Spacious and comfortable
- Always find the best quality and ensure that it is waterproof
JOVERS Blue Portable Pop-Up Pet Tent
The Jovers Blue Portable Pop-up Tent is one of the small dog houses for indoors that is designed to serve your dog better and for the longest time possible. The house is constructed from a sturdy and waterproof nylon to keep your dog cool and safe.
It is also vented with a top-quality nylon mesh that aids in letting in fresh air into the house as it keeps out bugs. Besides this, this smart dog house also has a zippered door that allows for easy access. You can easily refold the house and with the lightweight, you can easily carry it with you to any given place.
- Light in weight
- Easily accessible
- Very spacious and comfortable
- You may find one that is kind of tricky to fold, though in rare cases.
Petmate Precision Pet Log Cabin
The Petmate Precision Pet Log Cabin is an outdoor dog house that comes in multiple sizes. The small one measures 33.5 inches by about 25 inches and stands 22 inches tall, and makes a dog less than 40 pounds. The medium one is slightly larger at 45.5 inches by about 27 inches and is a bit taller than the small version at 27.5 inches tall. This medium log-cabin style dog house is a perfect fit for dogs 40-70 pounds. The large breed one is 45.5 inches by 44 inches, and is the tallest of the bunch at 33 inches tall. This version fits dogs 70-95 pounds.
The Precision Pet features an off-center entrance to create more space and shelter so your pup has plenty of room to turn around and get comfortable in its shelter. It is easy to assemble and take apart since it comes in three easy steps. That’s really important so you can always take it apart to clean it and set it up without much effort.
The materials used in this product make it one of the best dog houses for outdoor. It is made with solid fir wood with a natural cedar finish for a cool dog house that looks beautiful anywhere you put it.
The slanted wood roof, it allows rain and other things of nature run off easily from the roof top, so you are not stuck cleaning out the roof every time there is rain or leaves falling from the trees. This option includes plastic feet which raises the floor up from the floor, so it keeps the house and dog dry and comfortable from rugged outdoor weather conditions.
The great thing about the exterior is that there are a couple additional pieces you can purchase separately to make this a full proof, warm and comfortable house for dog.
First off is an insulation kit you can purchase separately to make it an insulated house for dog. The insulation kit is an easy to assemble simple single zipper and velcro attachment that goes in the exterior set up.
It’s made with a durable, two-layer canvas to keep the insulation material safe against rugged outdoor conditions, and is made with a triple layer polyform, which is guaranteed to keep your pet dry, insulated and warm through cold winter months. It comes in small, medium and large sizes to fit with the three different sizes of the log style exterior, so make sure you are buying the right interior size for the dog house you have.
The other additional purchase option is the dog door. It’s a simple set up really, but it does work really well in keeping cold out and heat in. The “door” is strips of heavy duty plastic that hangs from the top of the dog door. It is clear so your pup can still see out the door and get a view of the outside, but it hangs heavily to block a lot of the wind chill coming in and heat exiting from the door, making this combination one of the best options for cold winters.
The Precision Pet Log Cabin is easy to assemble, and most importantly, is sturdy and lasts in rugged outdoor conditions.
The insulation fits perfectly within the dog house so you won’t have any issues getting it set up, and it really does stay put, so you don’t have to worry about it moving around and getting messed up, even with your active dogs playing around in the space.
Since this pet house is made of wood, it may begin to soak up a lot of liquid if you face heavy snow or rain for extended periods of time.
One other thing to consider is the size. It is a covered house, so really larger dogs may have a harder time easily getting in and out.
Additionally, unfortunately, these do not come in extra large options, so if you are the pet parent of an extra large dog breed, you are missing out on an option for an good insulated pet house.
Best Dog Houses From Petmate Barnhome III
The best dog houses from Petmate Barn Home III is a barn shaped house that helps to protect it from the outdoor elements like wind, sun and rain. There is an air ventilation system in the rear of the barn home so there is constant air circulation while still keeping in the heat and keeping out the draft.
This barn house comes in three different sizes. The small one fits pups 15 to 25 pounds and measure 29 inches by 22 inches and 20 inches high. The medium version of the barn house is recommended for dogs 25 to 50 pounds, and the large version is recommended for dogs 50 to 90 pounds. At this large size, it would make a great German Shepherd or other pups of that size and weight.
It is made with quality material that is super sturdy and strong, so it lasts long and stays put, even through the more extreme weather conditions. Best of all, these barn house are designed in the USA with the highest standards in mind for your dog, so you know you are getting the best for your furry friend. This is super important to me as a pet parent, and quality material is something to always look out for when looking for the best houses for dog.
The Petmate Barnhome III is a sturdy option for dog. It’s wider than and quite roomy inside, making it one of the best large houses for bigger dogs.
This house was definitely created with outdoor use in mind. The ventilation system ensures that the pooch gets fresh circulated air while he is inside it, but still keeps the cold air from getting in. The back side is sloped, which is super important from keeping rain and snow from getting into the house.
The pet barn comes in two separate pieces, so it’s super easy to assemble. It’s really easy to clean by disassembling the two pieces and washing out the inside and outside of the barn house.
It pretty difficult to secure any type of soft fabric in there to create a warm and cozy space for dog.
One other thing to note about the barn home is that it is not an insulated unit, so if you are specifically looking for an insulated product for your dog, you can take a look at the other reviews in this post.
>>> Related post: Best Grooming Tables For Sale In 2018
10 More Best Dog Houses Options As Alternatives
The above fifteen list of best dog houses should provide every pet owner with enough choice to find the good houses for a dog. These were the best picks in terms of comfort, quality, and cost-to-value ratio. However, if you were unable to pick any house for your pet in the above list, or even none of these were affordable enough, I’ve got you covered. We found ten more alternatives of cheap houses which I recommend you browse through. The below best houses for indoor, outdoor have been well-rated by other dog owners and are fairly popular as well.
Suncast DH350 Outdoor Dog House with Door
The Suncast DH350 Outdoor Dog House is a durable house made of sturdy resin construction and comes with crowned floors. Of all the best dog houses reviews we have looked at in this post, this one is the extra large option we have seen and fits dogs up to one hundred pounds.
This model already comes with vinyl doors to help keep the wind, rain and snow out and keep the heat in, and you can even personalize the house with your dog’s name right above the entrance. This house comes in two separate pieces and you just need to snap it together and you do not need any extra tools, which means it is super easy to assemble and take apart as necessary to move around or clean.
This is a really sturdy pet house that is leak proof and does a very good job of standing up against the forces of nature, making it a great option for outdoor use. This is true whether it is summer or winter — in the winter it will keep the cold, rain and snow out and keep the heat in, and in the summer the house will keep your pet cool from the heat when it is staying outdoors. The house has a blue roof and light gray bottom that makes up the house, and the color and material does not fade over time.
SKL Cat Dog Bed House Black Portable
One of the cheapest dog houses for indoor out there, this is an affordable pet house for anybody with very small dogs. It’s made from very soft yet cheap and low quality materials, and is generally good for teacup dog breeds or pets around the size of up to 10-15 lbs. The design of this looks and feels cheap, but for the price it’s offered, this may be a good temporary indoor dog house for many pet owners.
Pet Squeak Porch Pups Dog House
Dog owners who can’t get over the idea of having one of the best dog houses for outdoor but cannot afford the expensive wooden house for dogs listed above will find this very stylish but less ergonomic wood dog house with a cheap price tag very appealing. It fits medium sized dogs and has a decent looking exterior. The design is cheap and made of low quality materials, however, which ultimately makes this a lightweight, easy to move.
Portable Indoor Pet House From Best Pet Supplies
A very affordable dog house with a cute design, this one makes a perfect dog house slash dog bed for indoor. It’s made from ultra-soft polyfoam and is covered poly fabric, and feels like a secure and cozy soft house for small dogs. Anti-slip material and easy to wash stylish design are great additions. Considering the small price tag, this is an inexpensive, affordable dog house for indoors that will fit majority pets.
GigaTent Pet PopUp Tent with Fitted Foam Pad
This is a very cheap and affordable dog tent made with average quality materials, and it’s a good alternative to an outdoor dog house. Its large removable cover and flooring makes it easy to wash the tent. Even though you can keep your dog in this dog tent, most pets do not enjoy the design of this, therefore it’s best used as a house cover or a soft dog crate cover, particularly for those that are indoors.
MidWest Portable Tent Crate
For owners not particularly interested in a wooden house, this soft dog crate may be a great alternative. This is a good fit for most dogs of small to medium size under 40 lbs. One of the advantages of using a dog crate as opposed to one of the best dog houses for outdoor is that it has a folding steel frame and can be easily moved, making it easy for travel. Water resistant material makes it a good outdoor dog crate, too.
Best Friends by Sheri Pet Igloo in Sherpa
Often bought as cat house, this small and cheap house works very well for small dogs and majority small dog breeds. There’s no construction required since it’s a soft house made from ultra soft Sherpa fabric. It’s machine-washable and has an insert which you can remove for washing separately. The main advantage of this small dog house is that it’s very lightweight and mobile, and it’s one of the cheapest ones.
always-quality Indoor Outdoor Dog House
A medium size plastic house, average design with a fairly durable construction and a very cheap dog house compared to most other options on the list. It’s very easy to assemble and the concept is very simplistic as well, which makes the house look cheap. However, it may be a good option for dog owners looking to get a shelter for their pet outside for any weather and for an inexpensive price tag.
Boomer & George Large Dog House Lodge with Porch Deck
An extra large dog house perfect for medium to large breeds. It’s one of the more stylish best dog houses that are out there and has an elevated design. It has its flaws: there’s issue with being too fragile during shipping, with some pet owners receiving this dog lodge with broken parts. And even though it’s advertised as a house for large dogs, it won’t fit the largest breeds but rather medium to large dogs.
Boomer & George Wooden Barn Dog House
If you are looking for the best dog houses and don’t mind paying a high price, you should buy this item. It features charming covered porch and many others. Other features include long lasting fir wood construction. It also comes with raised floor which keeps your dog dry and clean. The price may be high, but what it can offer is simply a lot.
The above ten alternative best houses for indoor and outdoor in our list. This should be more than enough for most dog owners to find something for their dogs. Before you pick your next dog house, make sure you know what criteria to look at, read reviews of dog owners houses and measure your dog for a good fit.
>>> Related post: Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate Review
How to choose the Indoor Outdoor Houses For Dogs
Now that you have a list of the best dog houses for outdoor and indoor, you also need to know which one of these will fit your dog and whether it will serve its purpose well for both of you.
Dog trainers and other canine experts stress the importance of measuring your dog and then looking at the specifications of the house you’re about to purchase. Technically, your dog should always be able to stand inside the dog house, turn around and lie down easily whenever he wants to.
Measuring your dog for a house is almost the same as measuring a dog for clothing, a dog crate or dog doors. Simply take your dog’s height, width and length into account, as well as your dog’s weight.
There are many different options of best outdoor indoor houses to choose from. Aside from the measurements and personal preferences such as design or color of a house, what would work best for your own Fido highly depends on the location where you live, living conditions and your dog’s behavior and preferences.
As we mentioned above, making sure you choose the right house size for dog is very important. If they are cramped or bump their heads or elbows trying to move around inside the dog house, they will stop trying to go into it at all. Follow these useful tips on house sizing.
- Make sure that your dog can turn around and lie down completely stretched out inside the dog house. You don’t want them to have to stay curled up in a ball just to be inside their own house. Measure your dog when he is lying stretched out and make note of the measurement. You will need it later when determining the width you need.
- It may sound simpler to just purchase a large dog house regardless of the size of the dog because at least you know the dog will fit, right? No, that won’t work and here’s why. When you have a lot of space around your dog during the cold months, your dog will find it impossible to keep warm. Having a cozier and appropriately sized house means that their own body heat will be able to help keep them warm as well as insulation.
- If you are purchasing a puppy or already have a puppy, you will need to get a dog house that will fit the dog when it is an adult. This will prevent you from wasting money on a house that will only fit them for a short time. Keep in mind what we mentioned above and if your puppy will be outdoors in colder weather in a larger dog house, you will need to make adjustments to ensure his warmth and comfort.
- The doorways that lead into the doghouse are typically smaller for several reasons. By having the door smaller and not just an open wall, they are more protected from the elements and won’t experience heat loss. You don’t want a doorway the dog has to squeeze through just to get in. This is very uncomfortable for them will result in them refusing to enter the house.
Measure Dog Correct Size To Choose Right House
This is a simple process that will help you choose the right house size for your dog. Make sure that you know his or her weight as well. Measure your dog’s length from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail with his tail extended.
An important part of the dog grooming process is to dog nail clippers. After all, the constant “click, click, click” can become quite irritating when they walk along your floor. When you hear this, you know it’s time to clip your dog’s nails.
read more >>>
Next, measure from the shoulder to the ground and from the top of his head to the ground. This will ensure that the house you choose will be big enough and tall enough for him to stand up in and turn around fully.
It’s fine for the top of the doorway to match the measurement from shoulder to the ground because many dogs will automatically lower their heads as they go through. If the doorway is taller than shoulder height, this is fine too and will not require them to lower their heads at all as they go through which is more comfortable for them.
Ideally the house you choose will be tall enough for him to stand in with his neck fully extended in its natural position and his or her head won’t touch the ceiling of the house.
>> Read more: 10 Best Dog Door For Wall, Doors & Sliding Glass Reviews
Some Final Tips For The Best Results
- Look for best dog houses that are insulated to help them stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Choose a model that is elevated off the ground so moisture will be kept away from the dog and the floor of the house.
- Cedar shavings are a great choice for bedding because they are a natural repellent for ticks, and fleas. It will also prevent the growth of mildew and mold but you will need to make sure the bedding is changed regularly so it doesn’t become damp.
- Make sure that the house has ventilation of some kind to keep air circulating through it. This is much healthier and comfortable for the dog.
If you take care to choose right the best dog houses for outdoor indoor, that is the right size as well, they will love being in it. Find a good location in your backyard for their house. Preferably in partial shade so they can benefit from the shade and still get the sun’s rays in the winter months as well.
The information we have shared with you will help you decide what your needs are and will make the process of choosing that perfect dog house much easier. With the right knowledge you will save time and money and not purchase something your dog will hate and you won’t like.
The houses are important for the health, comfort and safety of your dog. Doing your part to ensure it’s a great choice that will fit your needs and your dog’s natural preferences will give them a house they will use for years.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR
Like this? Subscribe for more actionable tips for dog owners!