How To Choice A Best Dog Nail Grinder?
A dog nail grinder uses a high speed rotating pad and wears a dog’s nail down as opposed to clipping it like any other conventional nail clippers. It is a useful tool to safely file the dog’s nails back one nail at a time and helps to smoothen the edge of the nails at the same time.
Welcome to the readers who have visited my article, start joining our community to share experiences on how to take care of dogs,
recipes, good stories, attractive videos, Interesting engravings are you captured on your dog. I am here to help you make this happen, make your life and your dog the best. You can support us here.
Your dog should not feel any pain when you use the nail grinder. More importantly, it reduces the risk of you cutting into your dog’s quick (the pinkish part of the nails similar to ours), which can cause severe pain and bleeding if accidentally clipped with the use of conventional dog nail clippers. This is why nail grinders are popular among dog owners, who have little or no experience in dog grooming. You may want to think about buying a dog nail grinder if you are having trouble too finding where your dog’s quick starts.
If you want to get a dog nail grinder, you can find one in most pet stores. Make sure you learn how to use a nail grinder because you can still over-trim. You will need to watch how close you are getting to the dog’s quick. Stop when you have wear down enough such that the nails are no longer tapping the ground.
What to Consider When Buying an Electric Dog Nail Grinder
Although most nail grinders you come across in stores are electric, the specifications across the various makes and models differ. You should pay special attention to certain things when buying a dog nail grinder.
First thing to look out for is the power (grinding strength) of the dog nail grinder, not all the electric ones will have the same power. Especially if your dog’s nails are thick and rough, a weaker grinder will not do the job as satisfactorily as one that is more powerful. Ask a salesman for recommendation or check out the reviews about grinders on the Internet and listen to comments from people who have used the grinders prior to making a decision.
The second thing of note is whether the grinder is convenient to use. Ask the salesperson if the grinder comes with any removable parts. Find out if it would be convenient to swap these parts out. Ask perhaps if they offer a carrying bag to store all the parts in, including the grinder. As for the size of the device, don’t worry too much because most of the nail grinders are made to fit a person’s hand.
In addition, a good dog nail grinder will come with a cap or cover that gathers the nail dust so that its not scattering about everywhere. If budget allows, get one that comes equipped with a sensor that stops the rotating pad when the dog’s fur gets caught in the grinder during use.
For added convenience, you can also consider getting a cordless dog nail grinder so that you are not tethered to a wall someplace all the time.
To recap make sure you check out the dog nail grinder’s power, interchangeable parts, any carrying case, dust cap and whether it comes with the safety feature mentioned above.
How To Use A Dog Nail Grinder
- First decide how much of the nail needs to be trimmed before you start. As a general rule, the long nail (that is curling downwards) should be trimmed/filed down so that the paw pad is even with the trimmed nail.
- Although there are some dogs that won’t move during the dog grooming process, fidgety and nervous dogs will need to be restrained for safety. One way to do this is to have someone help you hold the dog on a grooming table during the trimming. If you have a cooperative dog, you can just sit on the floor with your dog in your lap, hold the paw and grind its nails all by yourself.
- Show your dog the nail grinder the first few times you use it. Your aim is get the dog accustomed to the equipment. Pet the dog with it so that he sees it as a positive experience. It may be a good idea to do this a few sessions before you ever turn it on.
- Once you notice your dog is no longer resisting the nail grinder, turn it on. Likewise, perform the “ritual” as you did in Step 3 until your dog is used to the grinder in the power on mode.
- When the dog is used to the nail grinder, use the grinder on its nails. Always grind the dog’s nails at a 45 degree angle below the quick. You can see your dog’s quick if your dog’s nails are translucent white. The quick is rather obvious even to an untrained eye, you should be able to spot the pinkish part of the nail (i.e. the quick) quite easily. In this case, aim to trim until a few millimeters away from the pinkish part. Going any further than this puts you at a high risk of trimming the quick.If your dog has dark nails, you won’t be able to see its quick. Grind just a little off the end of the nail each time, and then stop to inspect. Repeat this until you could see a small black dot in the center of the nail when you are looking at the nail head on. This is where the dog’s quick start, do not grind any further. If you are unsure, just trim the nails enough such that when your dog steps down, the nails do not touch the floor. Start slow at first and work till you’ve become more confident to pick up speed.
- Even with all the precautions during your dog grooming, there will be times when you will accidentally get into the dog’s quick. You should always have a styptic pen (Silver Nitrate) handy. You can get this at your local veterinarian office or at a pet store. If you run out of silver nitrate, you can stop the bleeding by putting cornstarch or flour on the dog’s wound. And if that does not stop the bleeding, put on a light bandage for about 5-10 minutes. If it still won’t stop, it might be prudent to call on the vet.
One final tip – the more you trim your dog’s nails, the more the quick will recede into the nail, allowing you to trim the nails shorter in the subsequent sessions. Therefore, it is good practice to trim the dog’s nails often.
Top Products For Dog Nail Grinder
Siensync Electric Pet Nail Grinder
This Nail Grinder is safer and more effective than nail clipper to trim pet nails, it can reduce the risk of clipping the claws too short or hurt your pets. No more cutting into the quick or rough edges that occur with nail clipping. It has 3 ports. Choose the suitable port for your pet based on the pet’s size and characteristics of their nails. It is suitable for small to medium size dogs.
Amir Full Set Rechargeable Pet Nail Grinder
Professional Pet Grooming Kit – Including 1 high quality Rechargeable Pet Nail Grinder+ 1 Clipper + 1 Nail File. Works on all breeds of dogs. 3 different ports for selection, give your pets a Quick, Painless and Easy Trimming Experience. Constructed with diamond bit grinder, which is safer and more effective than nail clippers to trim the nails of your pets. Ultra Quiet.
Legendog Electric Pet Nail Grinder Quiet Nail Trimmer Clipper
The grinder is rechargeable with a USB wire, and the grinder is manufactured with diamond grinding wheel, which is more effective than normal grinder. Three size ports- there are 3 different size ports, the small and medium opening are designed for small and medium-sized pets (the item may not fit for LARGE-sized pets). Warranty-1 year warranty.
BABADIO Pet Grooming Electric Nail Grinder with Rechargeable Battery, Gentle Paws Clipper for Dogs
Constructed with diamond bit grinder, which is safer and more effective than nail clippers to trim the nails of your pets. Three size grinder ports available, trimming and shaping pet nails as well as smoothing rough nails on small to medium dogs. It is rechargeable by USB. It takes 2 hours to charge and can last 3 hours. Efficient and Quiet.
Electric Pet Nail Grinder by Hertzko – For Gentle and Painless Paws Grooming, Trimming, Shaping
Our Electric Nail Grinder is especially designed with low noise and low vibration, so that it won’t induce fear on your pet when you use the grinder. There are three openings/ports in the grinder area; you can use depending on your pet’s size and characteristics of their nails. Trimming, and shaping, as well as smoothing rough nails on dogs.
PepPet Electric Mains Rechargeable Gentle Paws Nail Grinder
Reducing the risk of clipping the quick of your dog with a dog nail grinder. Powerful long life motor,quick full charge in 2 hours and 3 hours of long use. Low vibration and low noise, powerful grinding performance for all kinds of dogs.
Master Grooming Tools 10-Piece Pet Nail Grinder Kits
Master Grooming Tools professional pet nail grinder safely and efficiently grooms pets’ nails for fast, smooth and accurate results. Powerful motor delivers 18,000 RPM. Features quick-change collet for easy changing of attachments and finger grooves with rubber, sure-grip pads for better control and a convenient hanging hook.
Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool
Cordless operation for optimum control. In order to insert the bit into the tool, the user must first unscrew the top in order for the collect to expand, and then tighten the top to secure the bit. Compatible with an array of Dremel sanding drums and bands. Two speeds 6,500 and 13,000 RPM to match the proper speed required. Backed by a two-year warranty.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR
Like this? Subscribe for more actionable tips for dog owners!