How To Recognize And Treatment Cataracts In Dogs Eyes
Older people are prone to cataracts in eyes, in fact many dogs will have this disease as well. When should dogs with cataracts do? How to treatment cataracts in dogs eyes?
Cataracts in dogs eyes are opaque, usually with a blue, gray or defective lens in the lens of the eye. Like the lens of the camera, the lens of the eye is the locus of light. When dogs have cataracts, their vision will narrow and darken. Cataracts in dogs eyes can start with a small size, such as a pin, which makes the dog unattainable, but cataracts can develop throughout the whole of the lens causing blindness.
Refer to the information below for the development of cataract and what you need to do to support your dog.
Related post: Things To Know About Buying Dog Crates for Anxious Dogs
How to recognize cataracts in dogs eyes?
Dog with cataracted are the only visible lens of the diseased eye, which is gray, no longer black. It not only affects the eyesight of the dog, it is so serious that the dog is blind.
To recognize cataracts in dogs eyes, look at the white in their pupils. When you see a curtain in the pupil, the dog has been cataracted for quite some time.
If the dog is having difficulty catching food, sniffing snacks instead of seeing them, or being unable to release them as usual, they may have had a cataract.
Most dogs have cataracts caused by diabetes, so you can see dogs colliding with objects at night.
Causes of cataracts in dogs eyes?
Hereditary cataracts occur very quietly in purebred dogs. Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, Siberian Husky, Yorkshire Terrier etc. are more likely to suffer from hereditary cataracts. Hereditary cataracts tend to develop in dogs from quite early – between 1 and 5 years old.
- Congenital cataracts: As the embryo develops, the cataracts and lens develop abnormally in the mother’s body, which is followed by cataracts.
- Cataract due to injury: due to injury, resulting in lens nutrition and lens problems.
- Secondary cataracts: secondary eye and body diseases, such as: irititis, uveitis, diabetes, etc.
- Cataracts due to old age: The lens is degenerative, mainly when the dog is 8-12 years old.
Symptoms of cataracts in dogs eyes?
– The first signs of this disease usually have normal vision, when the lens is not transparent, will gradually become opaque, the pupil will turn blue or gray.
– The vision gradually decreases or disappears, when clear cloudiness, the naked eye can also be diagnosed.
– After the onset of the disease, the lens will harden, lose water, check eyes do not see the eye. According to the loss of water, the convex lens concave irregularly, wrinkles are smaller.
Cataracts in dogs eyes develop like?
Crystals consist of specialized cells, fibers formed from proteins. Cataracts occur when damaged cells or fibers are damaged.
Dog diabetes can cause cataracts. High blood sugar changes the cellular metabolism in the lens and very quickly leads to cataract.
Cataracts in dogs eyes is painful?
Dogs may be disoriented or confused if cataract develops too quickly, but in fact, cataracts do not hurt them.
There will be some typical symptoms that accompany, such as discomfort or discomfort. When the protein structure in glass substitution changes, the body will recognize this as a strange substance, causing symptoms such as glaucoma.
Cataracts in dogs eyes can make it visible not?
Most cases of cataract can still be seen.
New cataracts cover less than 15% of the surface of the lens. Many dogs do not pay attention to this problem and rarely experience surgery to remove them during this stage.
On the other hand, when the cataract is “ripe”, the lens of the dog will be completely covered, the dog will have a change of light. At this stage, the dog needs surgery.
Way to treat cataracts in dogs eyes
A. Relatively safe way.
– Artificial tears: This is the most painful treatment, as it usually takes two hours for artificial tears to be given to the dog. Many people, for many reasons, can not sustain it, leading to a failed treatment.
– Antibiotic treatment: can control the bacteria in contact lens in terms of such damage.
– Artificial route, by surgical method, part of the salivary gland is used as a route.
– Drugs for eye irritation: Pilocarpine
B. Fastest way to do it: Do surgery.
Cataracts in dogs eyes will not cure themselves, dogs need surgery to treat. If you suspect a cataract, consult your eye doctor for the best treatment possible. In addition, Omega-3 supplements, fatty acids in fish oil help support eye health, cardiovascular, bone, joints etc.
Related post: How To Handle All Dog Fleas
Things to note when there is cataracts in the dogs eyes
– Make wet, clean: use clean water (boiling water, mineral water), or physiological saline (washing lens) to wet and clean the eyes, maintain the moisture of the eye.
– Prevent dogs scratching their eyes: because when itchy eyes, dogs are uncomfortable, often have reflex scabs on the eyes, causing the eyes to hurt twice.