Table of Contents
- 1 Best Dog Bike Trailer Reviews In 2018 (Update)
- 2 The Best Available
- 3 Top 8 The Best Dog Bike Trailer Comparison
- 3.1 1. Burley Tail Wagon Review
- 3.2 2. Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer Review
- 3.3 3. DoggyRide Novel10 Anniversary Bike Trailer for Pets Review
- 3.4 4. Best Choice Products 2 in 1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger Review
- 3.5 5. DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer Review
- 3.6 6. InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer Review
- 3.7 7. Sepnine 2 in1 pet dog bike trailer bicycle trailer Review
- 3.8 8. Aosom Elite Pet Bike Carrier / Trailer Review
- 4 Why Should I Invest In A Bicycle Trailer For My Dog?
- 5 What Criteria Makes The Best Dog Bike Trailers?
- 6 Guide To Buy A Best Dog Bike Trailer
- 7 How To Use Your Dog Bike Trailer
- 8 Conclusion
Best Dog Bike Trailer Reviews In 2018 (Update)
If you’re the active type who likes to take your dogs on journeys, then an investment in a dog bike trailer might be exactly what you’re looking for. With a good one, you’ll be able to take your dog with you whenever you cycle, allowing your pup a free ride at your expense and making sure you never have to leave them home again.
Welcome to the readers who have visited my article, start joining our community to share experiences on how to take care of dogs,
recipes, good stories, attractive videos, Interesting engravings are you captured on your dog. I am here to help you make this happen, make your life and your dog the best. You can support us here.
Why a pet bicycle trailer? Because taking your dog with you while cycling is a great way for the two of you to bond and it’ll be immensely enjoyable for both of you.
The Best Available
Before we dive into the meat of the matter, we’d like to present two for your quick perusal.
- The Burley Tail Wagon is mesh sided, rugged bike trailer for dogs that will serve pretty much any cyclist well. It’s well built, portable, and even has protection from the weather. If you’re willing to spring for it, you might have just found exactly what you’re looking for.
- If you’re looking for the best value for the money, then take a close look at the Best Choice Products 2 in 1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer, it’s sturdy, lightweight, and the third wheel behind the hitch will make it easy to turn. It might not be the fanciest, but it can’t be beaten for the price.
What to Look For in Pet and Dog Bike Trailers?
Like anything relating to canines, there’re some nuances to making sure that you get the best trailer for your dog to ride in. You’ll want to keep the following qualities in mind as you try to decide which one to go with:
- Size- Make sure that the trailer is appropriately sized for your dog. It doesn’t need to be as big as a kennel for them would be, but you’ll definitely want to make sure they can sit up and lie down and maybe move around a little bit in the back. They’re not going to enjoy the ride much if they’re cramped.
- The Hitch- The hitch will determine a lot about how the trailer rides when you’re on the road. Some inferior trailers will actually take your bike out too if you corner too hard and the trailer tips, or even tilts. They’ll also affect the cornering and stopping ability of the trailer, so keep that in mind before you hit the road with a low-end trailer.
- Handling- It can be hard to judge the handling until you actually get your dog trailer on the road, but if it moves properly behind your bike both of you will be a lot happier at the end of the day. This includes the turning if you’re riding on the roads that means there’s going to be cars and those humans locked up in steel cages can be rather unpredictable at times.
- Flooring- The floor of the trailer is essential. It needs to not scrunch up and stay in place. In actuality, you can hope that a dog blanket will cover up any discomfort it causes, but in a collapsible trailer, it can cause quite a few unanticipated problems.
- Portability- If you want to take the trailer in your car before unloading for sojourns in your favorite area, it’s worth looking for a trailer that can be transported easily. Easily removable wheels and folding down are the main qualities to look for here.
As long as you keep all of these in mind, you’re going to be able to take your canine companion for a relaxing ride with relative ease of mind for the both of you. You might just find that it’s your new favorite activity, combining your love for your pet and cycling can be absolutely fantastic.
Top 8 The Best Dog Bike Trailer Comparison
Our view: Top 12 Best Dog Seat Cover Reviews
“Bringing your canine companion for a ride is a lot of fun for both of you. Most dogs love the car, and it’s nice to have a friend to keep you company when you’re on the road. This can sometimes result in your car’s upholstery suffering badly. Investing in the best dog seat cover means you can save money and time on cleaning your car’s interior after traveling with dogs.”
1. Burley Tail Wagon Review
The Burley Tail Wagon is probably one of the best dog bike trailers you’ll be able to find anywhere, and the price reflects it. If you love to spoil your animals, though, then let them be spoiled with a ride in this dog trailer.
The main thing you’re left with here, apart from a well-designed hitch that’ll allow you to move quickly and efficiently while minimizing the reduction in your turning capacity, is options.
This dog bike trailer is enclosed in mesh, and you can open and close the various windows to allow your dog to breathe and look around or keep the world safely hidden away from view if they get skittish while you’re on the go. It has a loop for a leash inside, and cargo pockets on the rear as well, making it convenient for both you and your pet.
The company itself is focused on bike trailers, not just dog products, so you’ll be able to rest assured that you’re getting a trailer that was made by people who really know what they’re doing.
The wagon is only rated to seventy-five pounds, however, so you may have to let the dog walk if you have a truly massive mutt.
Overall, if your dog will fit, then you simply aren’t going to find anything better than the Burley Tail Wagon and if you want to make sure your pet is riding in style it’s the only real way to go.
2. Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer Review
The Solvit HoundAbout is a large, well-built trailer. It’s rated for holding a dog up to 110lbs. so if you’re looking at getting on the trail with a large dog you’ll definitely be in good hands in most cases.
This dog bike trailer has a very wide wheelbase and rides low to the ground, this helps keep your dog safe while you’re on the road as well. A lower center of gravity decreases the likelihood of anything going too awry while providing a smoother ride for your dog.
In addition to the smooth ride, it offers, you’ll also be pleased to know that it has readily accessible pockets along the top of the sides, perfect for keeping a leash or some treats to make sure that your pet is thrilled when you arrive at your destination.
The interior cushion is waterproof as well, so if things get a little bit hairy and your dog loses control of their bladder you’ll be able to remove and wash it easily.
Overall, this bicycle dog trailer makes a great, mid-priced option and it’s suitable for even fairly large dogs. If you wanted something high-quality, and your dog can’t quite fit in the Burley Tail Wagon, then your solution is probably to just Solvit.
3. DoggyRide Novel10 Anniversary Bike Trailer for Pets Review
If you’re into trail riding and camping, this might be just the bike trailer you’re looking for to haul your dog.
The mesh surface is wide open, allowing for a lot of breathability for your dog as well as an excellent view of their surroundings during your journey together.
It also comes with everything you need to take a camping trip with your dog. A large cargo rack up top allows you to pile on some gear and once the wheels are removed you’ll have the benefit of some legs which will allow you to use it as temporary lodgings for your dog.
Along with the rack, there’s also some large pockets for when you don’t want to lash anything off to the top of the trailer, making it perfect for around town as well.
In addition to all of that, there’s a 2” memory foam mat inside, easily removable for washing and ultra-comfortable for your dog as the two of you go on an adventure together.
It also has a kickstand, which is a huge benefit if you have a larger dog who’ll tend to tilt the lightweight frame as they get in and out of the trailer.
Overall, the DoggyRide has all the right stuff to take your dog on an extended adventure, including the ability to be transformed into temporary lodgings and gather your gear together in one spot. It comes highly recommended for those who are looking to take extended trips with their canines.
4. Best Choice Products 2 in 1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger Review
Not all of us are made of money, and if you’re looking for the best deal on this list you can go ahead and rest assured that this pet bike trailer is exactly what you had in mind.
In addition to being a bargain priced product, it can support a dog up to 66lbs and you’ll find that it offers plenty of protection from insects and the elements with its large mesh windows.
When not in use, you’ll be able to lock this trailer in place with a hand braking system. The added security is great. Add in a built-in safety flag, and you might find yourself wondering why this trailer is so cheap.
There is one issue with it: the frame of this dog bike trailer is actually made of steel which adds to the weight. This means slower acceleration and turning for you, but once you get used to using it you’ll be sure to be able to make the corrections you need.
It can also be converted into a stroller, without tools, for when you arrive at your destination, adding to its utility.
If you want a great trailer for a rock bottom price, then this one has you covered.
5. DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer Review
If you’re looking to take a small dog on short jaunts about town, then this bike trailer from DoggyRide is exactly what you’re looking for.
The small frame and low center of gravity means that it’ll barely affect your ride at all and it’s small enough that you’ll only have to make minimal adjustments to how you ride normally in order to keep the trailer stable.
It also has rain covers, which are rather handy if you’re the type who commutes to work or just likes to get on their bike even if it’s pouring and a lesser person would be staying indoors as opposed to getting some rubber to the street.
The cost makes it particularly appealing as well, it’s not going to break the bank and is a great deal for those who are trying to get their pooch on the road on the cheap.
It’s not suitable for larger dogs, of course, but it folds all the way down and the frame is sturdy enough to hold together for a long time to come.
Small dogs need adventure too, and DoggyRide has delivered with the best small dog bike trailer we’ve ever seen. It’s sure to make both of you thrilled with life as you soar down streets and bike trails with your companion at your side.
6. InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer Review
The InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer is one that comes with a frame that is easy to mount and dismount. Moreover, it has easily removable wheels so you can assemble and disassemble this bike pet trailer easily and quickly.
The durability and safety are not only guaranteed by the manufacturer. This trailer is obviously durable because of the cast iron rim wheels. These make your dog’s ride safe and smooth. The safety level of this dog bike trailer can be explained by the fact that it does not jerk even when you suddenly turn at corners. Your dog will love the smooth ride in this trailer.
The InStep Sync will allow you to enjoy the multi-purpose canopy. It can act as a shield against the sun and rain. It can also serve as a bug screen that can protect your dog. The InStep Sync is another dog bike trailer that boasts of its spacious storage. This makes it handy for storing gear as well as the dog’s leash or some of your personal stuff.
Since this dog bike trailer has a hull that is made of metal and steel, you can rest assured that your dog is supported against bumps on the road. The bike pet trailer also allows a dry and comfortable ride.
Additionally, the InStep Sync Single Bike Trailer has a sturdy steel frame that gives extra space. It also has hook-on wheels that provide you with extra leeway during storage. What is more interesting is that this dog bike trailer is versatile as its coupler can attach to any bicycle. It also comes with 16-inch air-filled tires that are durable and can last long distances.
7. Sepnine 2 in1 pet dog bike trailer bicycle trailer Review
The Sepnine 2 in 1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer is a versatile dog bike trailer. It allows your dog to go strolling, biking, running or jogging on almost any terrain. It is perfect for dog owners who have an active lifestyle.
This bike pet trailer comes with a conversion kit so it can transform between a trailer and a jogger anytime. It also arrives in a variety of sizes mainly medium and large to suit the size of your dog.
The Sepnine 2 in 1 is made with polyester fabric that boosts the strength of a steel frame that makes up the trailer. This guarantees that your trailer will not fall apart while you are using it. The dual entry feature of this trailer allows you to let your pet dog get on or off the trailer from the back or front. This gives you maximum pet convenience in boarding the bike pet trailer.
Mesh windows also provide protection against bugs while allowing your dog to enjoy fresh air during the ride. Your dog can also see the surrounding view all throughout the trip.
The Sepnine 2 in 1 is also easily foldable for easy storage under the bed or in your closet. It has durable 16″ tires for the rear and 12″ tires for the front, thus ensuring your dog’s safety on all types of terrains.
Additional features of the Sepnine 2 in 1 include multiple side pockets for storing all your gear. There are also visibility enhancers, reflectors and a safety flag to prevent other riders from ramming the trailer by accident. It also has a full suspension system that allows travel off the road but still with much comfort.
8. Aosom Elite Pet Bike Carrier / Trailer Review
The Aosom Elite Pet Bike Carrier is a well-designed dog trailer that boasts of its ergonomic features. In fact, you can easily setup and fold this trailer in minutes. Moreover, you can take it with you anywhere because you can easily store and transport it.
This dog bike trailer has a removable plastic cover attached to its front door. This is transparent, and so it will allow your dog to observe its journey. The plastic cover can also protect your dog from inclement weather as well as from high wind.
The Aosom Elite also has a front and back door that is mesh-zippered. This allows dog owners to load and unload the dog trailer easily and quickly. Moreover, the leash hook provided in the package gives your dog an added safety and security.
The Aosom Elite trailer boasts of its maximum capacity of around 66 lbs. The dog bike carrier itself weighs 32 pounds. Thus, this is not bad at all if you have to attach it to a bicycle. The big space provided by the Aosom Elite is what makes dogs love it.
This dog bike trailer is pretty robust and hefty which is why it is very durable. Many customers claim that they have ridden with the trailer for an estimated 50miles and it works perfectly. Moreover, because of the spaciousness of the trailer, you can pack other things in it if your dog is relatively smaller like 25 lbs.
The Aosom Elite also has a beautiful color and thus attracts many people. It is easy to drag, so your dog loves it. Many customers say this is definitely worth their purchase.
Why Should I Invest In A Bicycle Trailer For My Dog?
So, why exactly should you look into getting one of these best bike trailers for your dog?
In case you were sitting on the fence about this for any possible reason, here are some of the most important advantages investing in the best bicycle trailer will give you and your dog.
Many dog owners love to go out biking and have their dog jog on the way next to them in order to give them the daily physical exercise outlet they need, as well as give them a breath of fresh air and a change of scenery from the indoors all day long.
However, this isn’t really an option for dog owners with dogs at home that have certain physical problems that prevent them from moving as freely as other dogs.
For example, you may have a dog that’s recently been operated on and is now in their post-surgery recovery phase where any physical activity they can get is severely limited.
Or, perhaps you have a senior dog at home suffering from problems such as arthritis and/or hip & elbow dysplasia, both of which greatly limit their ability to move around as freely and as comfortably as other dogs without these problems.
In such a case, why should you be stuck with having to keep your dog at home and deny them the joy they get with such outdoor activities and change of scenery?
A dog bike trailer gives you the ability to have your dog safely attached to your bike and ride along with you on your outdoors journey, without having to exert any kind of physical effort at all.
Not Just For Dogs
A dog bike trailer isn’t only made for dogs, you can take advantage of it if you’ve got other pets at home (such as cats) and have any of them tag along by being safely placed inside one of these things.
What Criteria Makes The Best Dog Bike Trailers?
No matter what you’re looking for in a dog bike trailer, there are specific features that must be present in them in order for them to be classified as the best dog bike trailers, or else you’ll just be wasting your money on something not entirely worth it.
The following list of criteria is what you should be looking for in the ideal and best pet trailer.
Before you look at anything else when it comes to any dog bike trailer out there on the market, the first thing you should have a look at is how much weight it can support.
I can’t stress it enough how important it is to make sure of this, since you won’t believe how many returns that dog bike trailer manufacturing companies experience simply because a customer purchased one from them without entirely making sure that their dog can fit in properly and that it can sustain their weight.
You never want to put your dog in a dog bike trailer that can’t support their weight, since there’s a huge risk of it falling apart and seriously injuring your dog in the process.
Weight Of The Dog Bike Trailer
When speaking about weight during this purchasing process, it’s also advisable that you go with a dog bike trailer that doesn’t weigh too heavy.
If you choose a dog bike trailer that weighs too heavy in and of itself, between its weight and the weight of your dog, you’re not going to have much of an easy time biking with your dog attached to you.
It’s rather going to prove to be a physically hard task that many just can’t enjoy doing, and this beats the entire purpose of getting a dog bike trailer in the first place.
Some dog owners who make the mistake of buying very heavy dog bike trailers end up having their dogs get out of the trailer and jog along with them at times, simply because the weight and physical pressure gets too much for them to handle and they need a break for a bit – something the best dog bike trailer won’t have you facing.
The manufacturers of the best dog bike trailers will have taken this into careful consideration and will have their trailers made from lightweight materials that are still very high in quality.
Right after you make sure that the dog bike trailer you’re thinking of buying is able to support your dog’s weight, you have to make sure that its size measurements match with those of your dog.
The manufacturer will clearly state the interior space dimensions for each of their makes in a clear chart, and it’s up to you to measure your dog and make sure that the measurements match and that they’ll be able to fit in comfortably inside.
The manufacturers of the best dog bike trailers will provide you with a step by step graphic that explains how to measure your dog as accurately as possible, so any hard guessing work is taken out of the equation for you.
If you fail to do this step properly, you risk getting a dog bike trailer where you’re dog will have to be squeezed inside in order to fit in properly, one that they’ll do all they can to get out of and not get into ever again.
Ease Of Storage, Setting Up And Folding
The best dog bike trailer will give you the ability to fold them, whenever you don’t want to make use of them, into something that takes up very little space in storage and can easily be transported from one place to another.
You may be required to remove certain parts of the dog bike trailer first before you’re able to fold it and store it away, but the key point here is how fast this operation can be done and how easy it is to be done.
If a dog bike trailer will require you to spend 10 minutes removing parts before you can fold it and store it away somewhere it takes up negligible space, then it’s not among the best products on the market as there are other options that make this ordeal a much easier one.
On the other hand, if a dog bike trailer will take you something like less than a minute to uninstall and fold away, then that’s what we like to see.
For that matter, the same holds true as far as assembling the dog bike trailer is concerned.
Dog bike trailers that take you a long time and effort, both physically and mentally, to figure out how to set this thing up for use aren’t what we’re looking for, as there are options on the market that make it as easy and simple a job for customers to set it up for use in no time.
For any dog bike trailer on the market to be labeled as the best dog bike trailer, it must have the best of the best safety features to go along with it.
I don’t care how many impressive features a dog bike trailer has or how good it looks on the outside, if it doesn’t boast impressive safety features that will keep my dog safe from harm’s way on the road in case of any unexpected accidents, then I’m not getting my dog anywhere near it.
If you decided to invest in any one of the dog bike trailers mentioned in our list above, you can rest assured that we’ve only handpicked ones that boast of the most impressive and effective safety features on the market.
Guide To Buy A Best Dog Bike Trailer
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Dog Bike Trailer
There are things that you have to keep in mind when buying dog bike trailers. You need enough information about important features and specifications when you have to compare various brands. Here is the breakdown.
- Size – Check if your dog can fit the size of your trailer. Although your trailer does not have to be as big as a kennel, you have to make sure that it has enough room for movement. Your dog must be able to sit up, lie down and stand as well as move around a bit inside the trailer. If it is cramped or just enough for its body, then it is not ideal.
- The Hitch – It is the function of the hitch to determine the manner of movement that the trailer makes while you and your dog are on the road. The hitch will determine the way your dog bike trailer will behave around corners and how it will stop. Keep this in mind before you buy a low-end trailer.
- Flooring – Make sure that the floor of the trailer does not scrunch up and remain in place. In fact, you should make sure that the blanket will cover up any of its uncomfortable features. Make sure too that it will not cause many problems in a collapsible trailer.
- Handling – After you get your bike pet trailer on the road, check if the processing moves correctly behind your bike. Check if the handle turns when you are on the road. This should ensure the safety of your movement when you are traveling along with cars and other vehicles.
- Portability – Look for a pet trailer for bikes that you can transport easily in your vehicle. Make sure that the wheels are easily removable and the whole unit can be folded down. Make sure too that it should be easy to reassemble.
- Safety – Check if your dog is always safe inside the trailer and make sure that the leash hook is strong enough.
- Comfort – Make sure that your trailer will not bounce so many times that it makes your dog restless. Besides, if your dog gets too uncomfortable, it might try to get out of the trailer or move it sideways on the road. This will put the dog in danger if you are on the freeway.
- Harness – For a bicycle trailer for dogs, choose one that has a five-point harness that is both padded and adjustable. This harness is useful for securing your dog.
- Frames – Although the more expensive pet trailers for bikes are made of alloy, you may choose one that is made of steel because it is sturdy enough. Always make sure that the frames are designed to protect your dog from a possible collision with a vehicle.
- Wheels – Go for trailer wheels with aluminum rims since these will not rust and are usually lighter than steel rims. A bicycle dog trailer with larger wheels, from 16 to 20 inches, will be able to handle bumps much better.
However, those with smaller wheels are more easily maneuverable, so choose one depending on the terrain that you will usually use the trailer on.
Moreover, choose wheels with reflectors in the spokes and with inflatable tires. These will facilitate easier rolling when moving across uneven surfaces.
- Reflectors – Choose the side or rear reflective strips for your bicycle pet trailer. This is important so that other drivers, joggers or cyclists can easily see you along paths and bike trails.
- Weather and Trail Protection – Get a dog trailer for the bike with a fabric or plastic shield to shelter your dog from wind, sun, rain and road debris. If you have tinted windows, this will help add protection from the glare of the sun and keep the inside much cooler. Just make sure that the shield does not interfere with ventilation.
- Ease of Entry – Get a dog trailer where you can easily get your dog in and out without much hassle.
- Ease of Cleaning – Choose a dog bike trailer that you can easily clean. This feature goes hand in hand with its foldability.
- Design – Choose a design that is appealing to you and your dog. Just make sure that this design does not have external features that may interfere with safety.
It is practically necessary to own a dog bike trailer to give your dog a chance to go out with you. Nonetheless, there are some things that you need to remember if you want to keep your dog safe while using the trailer. Here are some tips to remember when using dog trailers.
- Do not substitute your dog trailer for your baby’s trailer. Dog trailers have not been rated for child safety. Choose a container that is specialized for your child if you need one.
- Avoid places where there is much vehicular traffic as this may not only put your dog in danger but may also get him restless. If your dog gets too anxious, it might try to jump out of the trailer.
- Do not attempt to take your dog on a very steep mountain. The dog trailer is not necessarily designed for serious mountain biking run. It is intended only for light trail riding.
- Be aware of your dog trailer’s limitations. If you are engaging in a long, leisurely ride with your dog, be careful not to accelerate too fast as a lightweight container may bounce higher than it should.
- Make sure your dog is accustomed to the trailer first before you use it. Get your dog used to getting in and out of the trailer before you decide to take them on their first trip. This will make the whole experience safer and smoother for you.
How To Use Your Dog Bike Trailer
While dog trailers lend themselves to some pretty cool options, there’s definitely some things to be aware of before you purchase one.
They’re not rated for child safety, so if you were planning on hauling your kid around in one then think again and spring for a bike trailer which is specialized for that usage.
A good trailer should be alright for light trail riding, but don’t get the idea that you’re going to be able to take your dog on a serious mountain biking run in a trailer. It’s not going to end well for either of you, the same goes if you tend to treat the streets like a playground while you’re getting from place to place.
Anyone who rides normally should be just fine with picking out a pet bike trailer, though, and it can add a lot of fun for the both of you to those long, leisurely rides. Just be aware of their limitations. Your mobility will be compromised somewhat no matter which option you go with, and it’ll take longer to stop due to the extra weight and you’ll accelerate a little bit slower out of the hole for the same reason.
It’s also a good idea to get your dog used to the trailer before you intend to use it. Get them used to getting in and out of it before you take them on their first trip and it’ll make the whole experience much smoother for both of you.
The best dog bike trailer to choose is the Step nine 2 in 1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer. First of all, it is different from and much better than all the featured trailers because it is convertible between a trailer and a jogger. This explains its versatility.
Moreover, it has great spaciousness, which is a characteristic of the best trailers as it can fit any dog size. The Step nine 2 in 1 also has high-quality front and rear tires that can allow you to go through any terrain.
It is also unlike many other bike trailer brands. It has a full suspension system that adds to its versatility while not sacrificing safety. The Step nine 2 in 1 has all the other qualities of good dog bike trailers – mesh windows, durability, visibility enhancers, and easy storage.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR
Like this? Subscribe for more actionable tips for dog owners!