Dog sunglasses or protective glasses for dogs were primarily meant for the canines employed in working areas, such as military or fire. These glasses were meant for providing protection to their eyes from wind, debris, dust and fire. However, in the recent times, the dog owners have realized the importance of sunglasses for dogs of all kinds, whether working or pets.
While taking a dog outside for stroll in the sunlight, these sunglasses or protective glasses can help your pet get immune to UV rays, just like humans. However, the owners must know that the dog’s sunglasses aren’t a fashion accessory and therefore, should never be put on their eyes in the interiors. This may darken the room for your dogs, leading to discomfort.
One of the ways to put them is by letting your dog first sniff the glasses and then easily glide them up their eyes in the sunlight. As a newbie, you need to know how to choose the right dog’s glasses and which ones are the Best Dog’s Sunglasses.
Are dog sunglasses and dog goggles the same thing?
No! As mentioned, dog sunglasses protect your pet’s eyes from being damaged by the sun’s UV rays. The best dog sunglasses are also polarized, which means they are coated with a special chemical film that reduces glare.
On the other hand, dog goggles may have similar lenses as pet sunglasses or they may have clear lenses. Goggles are used to protect the eyeball from damaging irritants such as water, snow, ice, sand or other outdoor elements. They are also ideal for dogs whose eyes may be exposed to wind damage while riding in a vehicle, a boat or on a bicycle.
When you’re purchasing dog sunglasses or goggles, finding the right fit is extremely important. It’s best to measure your dog before purchasing. Every dog’s head is a different size and shape, making it very difficult to size these products correctly. Make sure to read dog sunglasses reviews and pay attention to the measurements.
Complete guide to choose the Best Dog Sunglasses
Here is your guide to choose the right sunglasses for your dog.
The features to look for- Just like human sunglasses, goggles (dog sunglasses) should have certain features to check before you buy. Here is what you should look for
- Chin straps and adjustable elastic band for head
- UV protection
- Polycarbonate shatterproof lens
- Anti-fog lens
The Size Guide
One of the major issues with goggles is the size. How would you know which pair of glasses will fit in the best for your canine? In order to know the right size, first you need to have the right measurements.
- Frame length and back strap measurement- Measure the dog across his eyes and around those wagging ears. This will tell you about the frame length and back strap measurement.
- Chin strap measurement- Start measuring from beneath one ear. Eventually, follow it under the chin and then get going beneath the dog’s other ear.
This table will better guide you for the right size of the sunglasses for your little doggie.
|Dog Size (in pounds)||Breed||Dog’s Sunglasses Size||Frame length and back strap(in inches)||Chin Strap(in inches)|
|1-10||Chihuahua, Pom||Extra Small||5 to 13||3 to 7|
|9-25||Beagle, Westie||Small||12 to 20||4 to 8|
|20-60||Dalmation, Border Collie||Medium||15 to 25||5 to 11|
|50-100||German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever||Large||18 to 30||6 to 16|
|100+||Large Rottweiler, St. Bernard||Extra Large||22 to 45||11 to 26|
Choosing the right brand: The Brand guide for dog with sunglasses
When trying for the first time, do not be under an impression of buying the cheaper dog sunglasses. Go for the tried and tested brands. Here are top six brands of dog sunglasses and these can be checked on Amazon for consumer reviews as well. Let us review these brands for you.
Best Dog Sunglasses: Top 15 Lists
1. Doggles ILS Extra Small Metallic Black Frame and Smoke Lens
If you think that dog sunglasses and goggles are merely fashion accessories with their dazzling lenses, then you’re wrong. They actually have a more practical purpose – to protect your pet’s eyes from insects, wind, debris, and water.
They also help deflect harmful UV rays. The Doggles ILS goggles do all of those things with their fog-resistant and shatterproof smoke lenses. These have deep and wide lens cup with cushioned, metallic-black rubber frame that has holes at both sides for added cooling comfort.
Doggles offer an extra-wide nose bridge and soft adjustable head and chin straps for a snug and secure fit. Dogs are generally not thrilled about wearing things on their face or head; so for these goggles to be tolerated so well, it must feel very comfortable. Pet owners say that they didn’t find it very difficult to have their dogs donning the Doggles ILS eyewear.
Buyers made sure that they ordered the correct size for their pet’s head and chin; otherwise, they knew they’d only get resistance from their pup. Doggles ILS Metallic Black Frame and Smoke Lens are designed for pets weighing 10 pounds or less. These were a necessity for most dogs, especially those that injured their eyes and needed some protection to keep away debris.
They are also ideal for dogs that couldn’t keep still from too much visual stimulation or dogs that went blind. The goggles stay on the face and don’t get thrown with the dog’s movement. This is a huge plus for active pets. The ILS (interchangeable lens system) feature of these goggles will let you and your pet have more fun experimenting with other lens colors, too.
- Fog-resistant and shatterproof lenses
- Deep and wide lens cup with a cushioned, rubber frame that has holes at both sides for added cooling comfort
- Extra-wide nose bridge
- Soft adjustable head and chin straps for a secure fit
- Only designed for dogs weighing less than 10 pounds
- As with any of the best dog sunglasses, there are reviews from numerous pet owners who say their dog would not keep these goggles on
- A few reviewers say their dog met the measurement requirements, but these goggles were still too small for them – careful when measuring for fit
2. NACOCO Pet Glasses Dog Sunglasses
These goggles from NACOCO come in one size that fits dogs bigger than 26 pounds. There are six cool colors to choose from, and you could actually have a different color for each member of the brood.
Elastic straps secure the glasses around the head and under the jaw. The dark-colored lenses measure 1.4”x2.2” with each frame measuring 3”x3”.
The frames are joined together by a hinge that helps adjust the goggles to the contour of your dog’s face over the nose bridge. Each pair of goggles measures 6.3” across the face. Pet owners say their dogs easily got used to their new pair of glasses – they say these are the best dog sunglasses as they are so light and fit so well, so they don’t bother the dog or hamper his movement.
Dog owners found NACOCO Pet Glasses Dog Sunglasses to be a very useful accessory for their pets when riding around or spending time outdoors. These fully covered the eyes around the outer corners keeping them safe from debris or any foreign object that could cause injury. Buyers say these are one of the best dog sunglasses as they do not obstruct the view, including the dog’s peripheral vision, which is all the more important when exploring new grounds.
If your dogs need eye protection, or simply need something to shield from too much sunlight or exposure to air that dries up the eyes too quickly, then check out this item. It’s a great purchase even just for sprucing up your dog’s wardrobe.
- 6 colors to choose from
- Elastic straps secure the glasses around the head and under the jaw
- Lenses measure 1.4”x2.2” with each frame measuring 3”x3”, which is larger than most offered by the best dog sunglasses
- Frames are joined by a hinge that helps to adjust the goggles to the contour of the dog’s face
- Only available in 1 size for dogs over 26 pounds
- A few pet owners say that these goggles are not ideal for active dogs as they do not stay on the face when the dog is doing strenuous activities like running or swimming
- As with any of the best dog sunglasses, there are reviews from numerous pet owners who say their dogs were not comfortable while wearing these goggles
3. QUMY Dog Goggles Eye Wear Protection Waterproof Pet Sunglasses
This pair of goggles from QUMY looks extremely fashionable, so you may not expect them to be equally functional. In fact, their unique features are all about functionality.
They protect the eyes against the damaging effects of UV rays and keep the eyes from getting scratched by dirt, dust, debris, water and the drying effects of wind. The lenses are shatterproof and anti-fog to ensure total protection and optimal vision.
There are four color options, but only one size to choose from. They are perfect for dogs not less than 15 pounds in weight. Elastic bands around the head and the neck keep the glasses in place. Dog owners cannot wait for their next outdoor adventure with their canines donning their new cool pair of look-through eye protection.
Pet owners who have purchased this item say that QUMY Dog Goggles Eye Wear Protection Waterproof Pet Sunglasses are so well-made and incorporate a wider hinge that goes over the area between the eyes. They are pleased with the deeper lens cup with cushioned rims that make them more comfortable for dogs to wear. The goggles bend at the hinge to conform to the dog’s face, and dog owners are amazed at how they fit different dogs so well.
These goggles were definitely made for dogs. Sturdy plastic frames make them an all-weather waterproof accessory for romping around. The straps prevent them from being tossed off, which can be quite annoying. Plus, they look so cool you’d not be able to stop other people from admiring your pooch.
- Lenses are shatterproof and anti-fog
- 4 colors to choose from
- Elastic bands around the head and neck keep these best dog sunglasses in place
- Only one size option available
- Some buyers were not satisfied with the size of the lens cups, saying they are much too big to fit most dogs comfortably
- As with any of the best dog sunglasses, you will find reviews from numerous dog parents who say their pet would not keep these goggles on
4. ILS Lense Dog Goggles in Black
Get your dog’s eyes protected while you both have fun outdoors with this product from Doggles. Get Fido wearing ILS Lens Dog Goggles as you drive around town, explore the beaches, go on a safari, or trek the hills.
Don’t forget that dogs can also look dapper with these black and sleek protective shades when they’re out for a walk around town or while playing at the dog park. They feature an interchangeable lens system (ILS) and a sturdy yet flexible frame.
These are some of the best dog sunglasses because they have foam-lined lens cups and comfortably snug adjustable bands around the head and under the chin. The anti-fog lenses provide 100% UV protection and are shatterproof. The ILS feature allows for alternating lenses, and pet owners like that they can opt for the smoky or clear lens depending on their activity or surroundings.
These became indispensable items for dogs with eye injuries or those recovering from eye treatment. Otherwise, Doggles ILS Lens Dog Goggles are great as protective gear against UV rays and any foreign element getting into the eyes. With careful measurements made, dog owners got the perfect size for their pooches.
It may take a while to settle the glasses on the faces of hairy dogs – long hairs must be swiped to the side or trimmed to avoid obstructing the view. But once done, everything stays put, and your dog will barely notice it being there. And these are exactly our reasons why we have included this item in our top 5 best dog sunglasses and goggles – it does its functions by being there but keeps a low profile about it.
- Interchangeable lens system
- Sturdy yet flexible flame
- Feature foam-lined lens cups and comfortable straps that secure the goggles under the chin and around the head
- Anti-fog lenses that are shatterproof
- Buyers noted that these goggles are difficult to adjust on long haired dogs, as the hair on the face will need to be trimmed or carefully moved aside
- As with any of the best dog sunglasses, there are reviews from some pet owners who say their dog did not like these goggles
5. Pet Dog Cat UV Protective Foldable Sunglasses Lenses Eye Wear Protection
Add more flair to your dog’s gear by getting any one of the great colors made available by the ZGY Pet Dog UV Protective Foldable Sunglasses – in sleek black, hot pink, fiery red, or dainty white.
Lest you think that they’re only for looking good, think again. They actually work as protective eyewear against UV rays, wind, and debris. Their anti-fog property keeps the view clear and unobstructed.
The lenses are lined with foam along the rim to secure the fit around the eyes without losing the comfort. Double straps go around the head and under the chin. Like humans, dogs’ faces vary in shape, too. The wider hinge over the nose bridge allows for adjustment of the fit on the contour of your dog’s face.
It may take a little coaxing on your pet to try on the ZGY Dog UV Protective Foldable Sunglasses, according to dog owners who’ve bought them. Once the dogs get the hang of wearing these, though, they’ll think of them as an essential part of outdoor activities and will look forward to wearing their goggles.
Your dogs can now say goodbye to squinting from the sun, eyes drying from the wind, or dust irritating the eye. Don’t let these nuisances take away the fun from your bonding time with your pet. Get him the protection his eyes need, and tell him it won’t hurt to look awesome at the same time with these charming glasses.
- Available in 4 colors
- Anti-fog lenses
- Lenses are lined with foam along the rim
- Double straps fit around the head and under the chin
- Wider hinge over the nose bridge allows for adjustment of the fit on the contour of your dog’s face
- Some reviewers noted the lack of instructions for fitting these goggles on your pet, saying it is very difficult to do without proper directions
- Other buyers complain that while these are some of the cheapest dog sunglasses, you get what you pay for as the quality is poor
- As with any of the best dog sunglasses on this list, there are also many reviews from buyers who say their dog did not enjoy wearing these goggles
6. Doggles K9 Optix Blue Rubber Gradient Frame with Smoke Lens Sunglasses
Make your dog look cool and also be protected from eye diseases with these stylish dog sunglasses. They have an amazing flexible rubber frame. To make them comfortable they have head as well as chin straps that are soft elastic ones which are adjustable.
There is a nose bridge that is flexible. These sunglasses will provide your dog with 100% UV protection. The lenses are shatterproof ones. You will see that the frames of these glasses are made to fit on a dog’s face. These dog sunglasses are extremely fragile on dogs that are large dogs.
7. Pet Dog Sunglasses Water-Proof Multi-Color Protection Goggles Updated Version
If you are looking for some cute sunglasses that are one of the 15 best dog sunglasses then have a look at these multi-color ones. You can buy these in blue, pink, red, and white. The prices range with the colors. You can buy the color you want for your dog.
These glasses will protect your dog from the wind as well as from water. They will also keep your dog safe from eye diseases. The glasses have a head elastic. The complaint with these glasses is the sizes, it is therefore vital that you measure your dog carefully before buying them.
8. Dcolor Black Framed Pet Puppy dogs UV Protection dogsgles Goggles Sunglasses Eyewear
Specially designed for puppies, Sodia is a premium-grade puppy sunglass with a sturdy and durable black-themed plastic frame. It’s aesthetic, offers superior eye protection both indoors and outdoors, and is made of high quality materials free of contaminants such as BPA and phthalates. The lenses used to manufacture it are anti-fog. They are also durable, shutter proof, and offer 100% UV protection when in use. Other desirable features are its soft back and chin straps, foam padding, and flexible comfortable folding bridge design.
9. Pet Leso Dog Goggles Stylish Doggie Puppy Sunglasses Windproof
Light, durable, and with a stylish pink design that fits small and medium-sized dog breeds, Pet Leso Doggles is a windproof sunglass for dog ideals for riding in cars and motor cycles. It fits snug, has an adjustable chinstrap and head strap for a custo fit, and a novel design that resists snow and filters up to 100% of harmful ultraviolet rays. Even though light and affordable, this sunglass is non-irritant, functional, and lasts long.
10. 1 X Fashion Pet Dog Cat Goggle UV Sunglasses Eye Wear Protection Gift – Black
PetKissy is a universal fashion-forward sunglass for dog with an innovative plastic design that offers superior protection without irritating the skin, It’s affordable, very easy to wear and remove, and has neck-around and head elastic bands that secure it snug whether you dog is walking or engaging in rigorous outdoor activities. The shatterproof lens used to make this fashionable sunglass is clear, non-irritant, and offers UV protection.
11. NO:1 Fashionable Waterproof Pet Dog Doggles Sunglasses Eye UV Protection Goggles Red
Recommended in top 15 best dog sunglasses in 2017 reviews, NO:1 is a fashionable and well-made dog sunglass that creates a protective waterproof barrier when in use. It’s ideal for swimming. It’s also ideal for cruising on motorcycles, offers 100% UV protection, and has an adjustable elastic band that fits head circumferences between 22 centimeters and 40 centimeters. As most models highlighted herein, this sunglass is shatterproof. It’s also anti-fog, works well indoors and outdoors, and is attainable cheap in many web stores. It has a foldable bridge and is currently one of the best for protecting against eye ifections
12. Doggles Dog Goggles ILS With Skull Crossbones/ Smoke Lens – Small
Recommended for physical and UV protection, ILS by Doggles is an aesthetic skull crossbones-themed sunglass for dog with an extra wide nose bridge design for comfort. It’s durable, looks super cute on dogs, and has shatterproof smoke lenses that do not impair vision even when worn for long. It also has a deep lens cap design that effers superior protection agains infections and flying debris, has adjiustable chin and head straps that fit all small dog breeds, and a flexible rubber frame with padding for comfort.
13. MECO Pet Dog Sunglasses Water-Proof Multi-Color Protection Goggles Updated Version
Meco is a 14cm X 4cm signle side fixation dog collar with a unique multi-colored design that looks great on dog. It offers superior eye protection, is stylish, and creates a waterproof barrier that protects dog against eye infections. With it therefore, your dog will not only look good, but also stay healthy and well-protected outdoors. Sought after by thousands of dog owners worldwide, Doggles Originalz is a medium-sized pair of goggle.
14. Animal World – Black Frame With Smoke Lens Doggles Originalz
Designed for everyday use, this sunglass by Animal world is a uniquely styled accessory for dog with durable smoked polycarbonate lenses, a comfortable rubber-padded frame, and 100% UV-ray blocking ability. It’s stylish, protects dog eyes against the elements, debris, and wind, and has dual adjustable straps for custom and comfortable fit.
15. Doggles ILS Small Shiny Red Frame and Smoke Lens
Light, comfortable, and made of high-grade plastic and UV resistant smoked glass, Doggles ILS is a well-made dog sunglass that offers both physical and UV protection. It’s shiny red fram is easthetic. It’s fitted rubber padding boosts comfort, while its ergonomic design and adjustable chin and head straps fit snugly on the head.
Dog sunglasses are very useful for your dog if you wish to protect your precious pet from harmful eye diseases and also from weather conditions that irritate your dog’s eyes. You can choose one from the 15 best dog sunglasses and make your dog look cool and amazing.