Table of Contents
- 1 Low Protein Dog Food Reviews & Buying Guide (Update In 2018)
- 2 Top 8 Best Low Protein Dog Food Comparison
- 2.1 1. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food Review
- 2.2 2. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Review
- 2.3 3. NUTRO ULTRA Weight Management Adult Dry Dog Food Review
- 2.4 4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Active Longevity Chicken Meal Review
- 2.5 5. CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies Review
- 2.6 6. Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Renal Health Canned Dog Food Review
- 2.7 7. Purina NF KidNey Function Canine Formula Canned Dog Food
- 2.8 8. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastro Intestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food
- 3 Guide To Buy Dog Food With The Best Low Protein
- 4 Conclusion
Low Protein Dog Food Reviews & Buying Guide (Update In 2018)
Protein is useful for your dog for the repair its body tissues and to have healthy fur, skin, nails, muscles and ligaments. However, too much protein will make your dog’s kidneys tired from too much filtering. The rest of the excess protein will cause heart or joint problems or will be stored as fat. The best low protein dog food can help your dog a lot if it has kidney problems. In old or diabetic dogs, the kidneys cannot filter out excess protein. A low protein diet will eliminate the need for the kidneys to work hard.
Welcome to the readers who have visited my article, start joining our community to share experiences on how to take care of dogs,
recipes, good stories, attractive videos, Interesting engravings are you captured on your dog. I am here to help you make this happen, make your life and your dog the best. You can support us here.
There may come a time (if you’re reading this it probably already happened to you) when your veterinarian will recommend the best low protein dog food for your pet. When a dog digests protein it produces toxins that are traditionally flushed out in the urine. If, for some reason, your dog’s body cannot properly digest these proteins he may need to be switched to a low protein diet.
The best low protein dog food may be prescribed for many reasons. This diet is a bit controversial, since most dogs require a sufficient amount of meat. It’s usually only recommended for dogs with kidney or liver problems.
According to the vets and scientists, issues that may require the best low protein dog food include:
- Urinary stones (Uroliths, UTI)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Inflammation of the kidneys (Glomerulonephritis)
- Lyme-disease associated with kidney inflammation
- A liver shunt (portosystemic shunt)
- Hepatic encephalopathy (associated with cirrhosis of the liver)
Veterinarians and scientists agree that several dog health issues can be solved by switching your dog to low protein dog foods.
So if your dog has renal issues, or other canine kidney disease related problems, low protein dog food may be the best option. However, other health problems or preventions from illnesses as listed above may also be a good reason to look into placing your dog on a new diet that’s low in protein.
You never want to switch your pet to one of the best low protein dog food brands without consulting your veterinarian. All low protein diets have a different amount of protein. Depending on your dog’s individual needs your vet will prescribe the right food. Many of the best low protein dog food blends are only available by prescription.
In the below list of best low protein dog foods, we’ve listed eight best brands that majority of vets recommend and owners choose. However, if you’re unable to pick the best option out of these, there’s ten more alternatives of low protein dog foods listed below.
Top 8 Best Low Protein Dog Food Comparison
“When you travel with your dog, there are many things to take into consideration, and choosing the Dog Travel Crates or Travel Carriers For Dogs is one of the more important ones. A reliable, secure and comfortable dog crate and Carriers for travel will provide a peace of mind for you and a safe place of rest for your pup.”
1. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food Review
The Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food comes from premium bison meat which is known for its high-quality protein. This type of protein has low calories and can make your overweight and inactive dogs achieve an ideal weight and high energy levels.
Natural Balance also contains sweet potatoes. These are adequate sources of energy and potassium. Potassium is very useful for promoting growth, strength, and appetite.
This particular low protein dog food also has no artificial ingredients. It also has no preservatives and artificial colors. This prevents any possible allergies that arise with certain breeds of dogs when it comes to the consumption of artificial ingredients.
It also comes with a variety of options for protein sources. Depending on what your dog likes to eat, you can choose from fish, chicken or venison. In addition to these protein sources, there are a limited number of ingredients for this low protein dog food in order to lessen the chances of allergy in your dog.
Natural Balance Dog Food is also free from gluten-rich grains that can cause multiple allergies. In addition to that, Natural Balance has a lot of premium high-quality protein and carbohydrate sources that do not only maintain your dog’s digestive health. These also keep its skin healthy and its coat shiny.
Natural Balance takes pride in its nine safety tests which they conduct on every food treat or product. They do this in order to ensure and maintain quality control. The tests are performed by the best chemists and microbiologists to ensure an accuracy of nutritional information.
- Limited ingredient formula
- Bison offers a high-quality protein that is low in calories
- Sweet potatoes provide adequate levels of potassium and energy
- No artificial ingredients, colors or preservatives
- Some long-time customers say that the formula has changed and the ratio of bison to sweet potato has decreased
2. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Review
The Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food contains the finest natural organic ingredients that support a healthy digestive system. These include vegetables, fruits and healthy proteins. The formulation also contains natural fiber, pre & probiotics as well as some healthy digestive botanicals and digestive enzymes that promote total body health.
For over ten years, Holistic Select has been formulating a broad range of high quality low protein dog food preparations for puppies, adult dogs, and senior dogs. There are a variety of recipes for the low protein natural dry dog food diet, and these include chicken, duck, anchovy and lamb.
Holistic Select’s weight management formula is helpful in providing your dog a balanced diet with peas and chicken. This gives your dog fewer calories in return to promote weight loss in case your dog needs it.
The Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food does not contain wheat and wheat gluten. It is also free from artificial colors, fillers or flavors. Most importantly, low protein dog food does not have any meat by-products that can lead to kidney and liver conditions.
It contains a variety of different protein sources and formulas to make healthy all dogs in all life stages. With this, many customers have seen a noticeable improvement in the dog’s skin, coat, muscle mass as well as in their energy levels. Moreover, they have had more consistent yet less stool and urine. These are positive indications of a healthy body and digestive system. Try this great product for your dog today, you won’t regret it.
- Variety of different formulas and protein sources to satisfy all dogs in every stage of life
- Includes the brand’s unique digestive health support system, featuring active probiotics, healthy fiber and digestive enzymes
- Contains no meat or poultry by-products, wheat or wheat gluten, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives and no fillers
- Consumers noticed a fishy smell to their dog’s breath after switching to this food
- More expensive than other best low protein dog food blends
3. NUTRO ULTRA Weight Management Adult Dry Dog Food Review
Kidney dog food reviews reveal that one of the best low protein dog foods is Nutro Ultra Weight Management Adult Dry Dog Food because of its finest quality organic ingredients. The lean, organic, all-natural ingredients provide total nutrition that include a shiny coat, smooth and radiant skin, a robust and healthy heart, sharp vision and a healthy immune system.
Nutro Ultra Weight also helps overweight dogs achieve and maintain an ideal weight. The high vegetable content of the dog food is the one responsible for preventing the buildup of fat that could result from high-calorie diets. The plants included in this low-protein dog food include carrots, beet pulp, spinach, pumpkin, and tomato.
The Nutro Ultra Weight also includes natural antioxidants among its ingredients. These include tomatoes, carrots, blueberries, and cranberries. This is to prevent unwanted diseases.
This particular low protein dog food also contains some essential vitamins which can prevent illness. These include calcium pantothenate, niacin, biotin, ferrous sulfate and zinc sulfate. There is also beta-carotene for cancer prevention, folic acid for healthy cells and the prevention of anemia, and thiamine to break down carbohydrates into a more useful form.
Many consumers say that dogs that have been fed with Nutro Ultra Weight have not had any health issues. They have healthy and shiny coats and there was never a day that they did not eat well.
The Nutro Ultra Weight is not only the solution to the problem of overweight and inactive dogs. It also has an excellent taste that mimics the original taste of real food. That is why your dog thinks that it is still eating much when it is losing weight healthily.
- Formulated for weight management
- Made from lean meat protein sources, with selected fruits, vegetables and essential oils
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Available in dry and canned formulas
- Consumers noted it was more expensive than other best low protein dog food options, but it saved them money on vet bills in the long run
4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Active Longevity Chicken Meal Review
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food contains a unique formulation intended for senior adult dogs. This particular formulation helps improve the quality of their life by reviving their youth. The antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins and minerals in this low protein dog food assist in ensuring that your senior adult dog can have a disease-free life.
Hill’s Science contains the finest high-quality protein sources for maintaining good and healthy muscles. This product gives many options for you to choose from, sources include lamb, chicken, salmon and many others.
This dog food with the little protein is available in convenient sizes of 5 and 17.5 pounds or a bulk size of 33 kg. Most customers who used the Hill’s Science for their dogs claimed that their dogs started gaining their appetite and started eating much despite their kidney conditions. One factor that helped revived their dogs’ desire is the delicious taste of Hill’s Science Dog Food.
Hill’s Science Dog Food also became popular among owners of dogs that need to subsist on a low protein diet. This is practically useful for those whose dogs need to lose weight. Pet owners claim that their dogs lost excess weight without sacrificing their energy and vitality.
Hill’s Science also makes health management a lot simpler. This is not only because it contains easily digestible ingredients but also because of antioxidants to promote long life expectancy. This low protein diet also contains chondroitin and glucosamine to improve the mobility of joints.
In addition to the dedication of the company towards homeless pets, Hill’s Science also contain ingredients that reduce skin and stomach sensitivity. This low protein dog food is also good for the teeth as it does not have destructive sweeteners.
- Specifically formulated for senior dogs
- Contains natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals and amino acids
- Pet owners noted that their senior dogs had more energy when switched to this diet
- One pet owner complained that this best low protein dog food contains corn, which is reflected in the ingredients list as “whole grain”
5. CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies Review
Canidae Life Stages Dry Dog Food boasts of its low-fat and low-protein formula for a dog of any life stage. This formula boasts only of the highest quality ingredients and the absence of corn, soy or wheat. Corn, soy, and wheat may contain gluten, which can cause allergies or other health problems.
Canidae Life Stages is specially formulated for the benefit of overweight senior dogs that suffer from low energy levels. This particular high-quality low protein dog food contains chondroitin and glucosamine to reduce pain in the bones and joints of senior dogs. This will keep them active and mobile when you want to play with them.
Canidae Life Stages also contains little fat and protein levels to help your senior dog attain optimal weight. Obesity is prevalent among top dogs and may become the reason for a cardiac arrest or heart problems. As long as your dog takes the appropriate Canidae Life Stages for its particular age, then you can expect it to lose weight and gain natural vigor and strength.
Canidae Life Stages also contains high-quality ingredients that can help cure issues related to digestion. As digestive problems are alleviated, you can be confident that your dog is free of common digestive problems that can affect senior dogs.
This low protein dog food is made up of lamb meat, turkey, chicken meat and fish meat as its primary sources of protein. Additional sources of vitamins and minerals include peas and papaya. Healthy brown rice is an excellent source of energy. Also, you cannot find wheat, soy or corn in Canidae Life Stages, thus preventing allergies that may come from gluten.
- Formulated for all life stages, making it ideal for multi-dog households
- Made with optimal levels of protein to build muscles without packing on weight in elderly dogs
- Contains probiotics to aid digestion
- Includes adequate levels of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids to make skin and coats healthy
- One buyer noted there dog suffered from constipation after being switched to this food, but this may be linked to dietary switch performed too quickly
6. Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Renal Health Canned Dog Food Review
Dogs with renal problems are probably some of the dogs that are hardest to feed. They need to be properly nourished, but with foods that are low in phosphorus, proteins and sodium, and are high in omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin B complex. This combination reduces the work load of kidneys, keeping them functioning optimally considering their impairment, assist other bodily functions to aid the kidney, and compensate for other nutrients that these dogs are deprived.
All these are uniquely provided by this prescription diet from Hill’s Pet Nutrition. This is sold in a 12-13 ounce can. Buyers who have tried this on their dogs agree that it is a good product, and that it has even saved the lives of more than a few dogs.
Kidney issues in dogs are not an easy condition to manage, and these pet owners were simply relieved to find that such a food preparation exists. They are thrilled that it not only simplifies feeding, but Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Renal Health Canned Dog Food has actually helped them improve their dog’s health. However, most of these pet owners have bought this product from their vets, and they are one in saying that those sold on Amazon are very overpriced.
These consumers think Amazon needs to check the pricing for this product, because many pet owners would prefer buying online even for a slight difference in exchange for the convenience. Overall, customers found this product very satisfactory and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
- Low in phosphorus, proteins and sodium
- High in omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin B complex
- Available at most veterinary offices
- Consumers complained that prices on Amazon were much higher than prices at their local vet’s office
7. Purina NF KidNey Function Canine Formula Canned Dog Food
Purina NF KidNey Function Canine Formula Canned is scientifically designed to help minimize signs of kidney failure and slow the progression of the disease. To support proper and healthy kidney function, it has low protein content, low phosphorus levels, reduced sodium levels and high levels of omega fatty acids. Low protein levels reduce the amount of kidney work. Low phosphorus prevents kidney damage, while the level of sodium decreases to compensate for damaged kidney damage to regulate this important mineral.
Increased levels of omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce glomerular filtration. B-complex vitamins help protect the body and ensure that nutrients are easily broken. Also it serves as adequate and balanced nutrition to maintain mature dogs.
Purina NF, the first five types of dog food that has enough water for processing, the by-products of meat, rice, cornmeal and beef.
This formula is indicated for dogs with acute and chronic kidney disease, combined liver disease with encephalopathy, and dogs with any condition benefiting from limited sodium levels.
- Dietary treatment specifically designed for dogs with kidney problems
- Low protein, low phosphorus, reduced sodium and increased omega fatty acids to support proper kidney function
- Full nutrition and balance
- Very tasty, as with other canned foods
- Made in the USA
- Some owners complain about the recipe not available in the different flavors
- Some owners are interested in the formula that contains the by-products
- Too expensive
8. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastro Intestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastro Intestinal is a special nutrient mix developed by nutritionists and veterinarians. It is specially formulated to reduce acute intestinal absorption disorders and promote restoration of nutrition and relaxation.
Formulated with easily digestible, high-quality proteins that can easily be absorbed by the digestive tract of dogs. In fact, it is low in fiber, which increases the digestibility easily. Diet includes hydrolyzed enzymes, fructooligosaccharides and zeolite, nourishing intestinal tissue and microorganisms.
It also has important vitamins and minerals that help rebalance the natural balance of the digestive system, and build a strong defense system for the environment. Royal Canine Gastrointestinal also helps maintain a healthy weight.
The first five ingredients of the recipe are: enough water for processing, pork byproducts, rice flour, cornmeal and cornmeal.
Royal Canin Low fat canning Dog food is indicated for dogs with acute and chronic pancreatitis, acute and chronic diarrhea, hyperlipidemia, white blood cells, and oxidative disease, digestive deficiency, bacterial growth, and bile acid deficiency.
- Full nutrition and balance
- Full of energy content to satisfy the needs of adult dogs without overloading the stomach
- Contains protein and carbohydrates with high digestibility
- Low fat content to reduce stress on the digestive system of dogs
- Low fiber to improve nutrient absorption
- Nourish intestinal tissue and micro-organism
- Nature preservation
- High palatability to meet reduced or fussy appetite
- The main ingredient of the diet is byproducts and cereals of animals
- Pretty expensive
Guide To Buy Dog Food With The Best Low Protein
There are things that you need to consider when purchasing low protein dog food. You cannot just buy one without enough information about the various features offered by different brands.
- Quality – Aside from choosing the dog food with lower protein, find one that contains high-quality protein that can be easily digested. For low protein diets, preferred sources of protein include chicken, egg, dairy, and soy.
- Phosphorus Levels – If your dog is suffering from a kidney disease as confirmed by the veterinarian, go for a diet that contains low phosphorus levels. Kidney dog food reviews recommend that a low-phosphorus diet should be supplemented with enough B vitamins, potassium, antioxidants, buffering agents and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Palatability – Since most of the flavor of dog food depends on its protein content, dog food with little protein can be tasteless. Thus, you need to try out at least a couple of brands that your dog likes. However, take care not to offer too many varieties all at once, or your dog might suffer from an upset stomach.
- Nature of the dog food – Dog food can be wet or dry, but take note that high-quality low protein dog food is usually dry. Although wet food is known to be more palatable for dogs because of its more appealing smell and the greater amount of animal preservatives, choose dry food if you want your dog to go on a low protein diet. Dry food are easy to measure, easy to buy in bulk, long-lasting and can be more nutritious.
- Appropriateness – Since dogs of different stages of development have different dietary needs, always go for food that is appropriate for the age of your dog. Low protein puppy foods are specially formulated for fast-growing bodies while those for older dogs are useful for joint care. Always seek your veterinarian’s advice first.
- Flavor – With a variety of choices for the flavor, it is not easy to find one that is best for your dog. However, always go for one that your dog likes so that it will not give them unwanted digestive troubles. For low protein dog food brands, one of the most popular choices for flavor is the chicken so may want to start with that before you try out turkey, salmon or Omega-3-rich duck flavor.
- Supplementary foods – Despite the fact that low-protein dog food is usually, you may want to supplement it with some other food according to experts. You may go for canned food for lower carbohydrate content. You can also occasionally feed your dog with raw food whether in dehydrated or frozen form.
Buying low protein dog food is critical to the health of your dog especially the health or its kidney and liver. However, there are some things that you need to know if you want to take full advantage of your low protein dog food.
- Ask your veterinarian first about any changes that you need for your dog’s diet. You may have to make some necessary adjustments to its food. Your pet may have to be fed with less and less of the old food first as you are adding the new one.
- Always check dog food labels. Make sure that individual ingredients should be in their minimal percentages. These include meat by-products, generic fat sources like animal fat or chicken fat, artificial preservatives like BHA or BHT, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and sweeteners like sucrose or corn syrup.
- Make sure that you feed your dog or dogs according to the nutritional requirements which are fit for their age and stage of development. Growing puppies need more energy from their meals compared to older dogs. Obese dogs also need amounts of low-protein dog food that is appropriate to their condition.
- Consider environmental conditions before feeding your dogs. Dogs who spend most of their time in the cold outside usually need 10% to 90% more energy than those who enjoy the indoors or a temperate climate. Also, you should also consider the amount of fat and fur that a dog has.
- Check with your veterinarian if your dog is not feeling well. Usually, sick dogs need more energy to boost their immune system or repair body tissues.
- Ask for professional advice first before feeding pregnant and lactating dogs. A pregnant female dog’s energy requirement is expected to exceed that of others which are not pregnant. Moreover, women that feed their young with milk may also require more dog food than usual or may need a special meal.
- Seek the advice of your veterinarian first if your dog has been neutered or spayed. Neutered dogs usually gain weight fast because of their decreased activity levels as well as increased appetites.
- Watch out for breeds that are particularly allergic to certain foods. Cocker Spaniels, Lhasa Apsos, Dalmatians, Miniature Schnauzers, and English Springer Spaniels may be allergic to certain dog foods.
- Observe your dog when you are trying new food. Individual dogs need more protein and others need less, and this depends on its unique characteristics. Look for noticeable changes in its skin and fur coat, along with the consistency of its stool.
- Always check the FDA website or with your veterinarian when not sure about a certain dog food brand or supplement. Others may claim that a particular supplement may go well with your low protein dog food but always ask or investigate first.
- Prepare combination diets according to your veterinarian’s advice. While a combination diet may make your dog like the new low protein dog food, it may not be balanced when it comes to nutrients. Prepare a mix diet that is individually tailored according to your dog’s nutritional needs.
- Avoid overfeeding. Obesity is a common problem among dogs. Stick to a strict regimen when feeding your dog with a low protein diet and avoid giving extras in between meals.
Buying Low Protein Dog Food Online
- When purchasing low protein dog food online, make sure that you are buying from a good and reputable company. It would be hard to deal with shady companies in case you have to return bad products.
- Consult with your veterinarian first regarding all the nutritional needs of your dog. Otherwise, you might end up purchasing the wrong dog food.
The best choice for the best low protein dog food is the Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diet Dry Dog Food. Despite the convenient sizes of Hill’s Science as well as the gluten-free nature of all the other low-protein dog foods, only Natural Balance uses a health standard measure made up of 9 safety tests. This alone gives it an edge compared to the others.
All of the products are gluten-free and thus do not contain allergens that can harm your dog. All of them are also formulated for weight management. Natural Balance is good because its nine safety tests guarantee the safety of your dog as well as the safety levels of the formula.
Just like Holistic Select, Natural Balance is also not exclusively intended for senior dogs that are inactive and overweight. Thus, they can be used for all stages of the life of a dog. Natural Balance is unlike Nutro Ultra, Canidae Life Stages and Hill’s Science, which are all intended for senior dogs that suffer from obesity and inactivity.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR
Like this? Subscribe for more actionable tips for dog owners!